General lathe parts suppliers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General lathe parts suppliers?

I have a friend that bought a General 160 that apparently was a mistreated school lathe. The outboard headstock spindle threads are pooched, look like they were graunched with vice grips. Does anyone know of a source of parts for General lathes?

Pete
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: General lathe parts suppliers?

Are the threads so bad that they can not be cleaned up with a file? That would be my first stab at trying to fix it. Short of finding a parts lathe it's going to be tough to get a spindle. I believe that the pitch on the outboard side is 1 1/8 8. A left hand die might also repair the damage enough to make it work. They are not cheap but available https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Hexagon-Rethreading-Dies-2-x-1-1-8-UN-LH-Carbon-Steel-2118HXD/352333028673?hash=item5208af5d41:g:~toAAOxy039TKJ~ f

Comment

I think that spindle thread spec is for the General 260 and the 160 is 1-8TPI on both ends, LH on outboard of course.

Best to check what you have to be certain.
      billh

Comment

He is an aircraft mechanic so when he says they are pooched they are way beyond saving. ;) Yes they are 1 x 8TPI with the outboard being left hand.
        Victor Machinery have the dies for $31US so a little cheaper but still a lot if only needed once. Thanks so far.

Pete

Comment

Unless you are real, real lucky the $31US is likely to be the cheapest solution assuming the threads will clean up sufficiently with a pass of the die. The threads just have to let the chuck, wheel, whatever thread on smoothly. The registration for alignment is against the shoulder, not the threads themselves.

billh

Comment

I can’t help with General lathe parts, other than getting a donor lathe and they do come up, not often though.

Yes the 160 has the 1”X8TPI both inboard and outboard with outboard being lefthand thread, the 260 has 1 ¼” X8 tpi inboard and 1 ⅛” X 8 tpi LH outboard

He might not like to resurrect the outboard thread, but with a good thread file it can certainly made usable for say a hand wheel.

You could get in touch with http://fordmachinery.com/index.php they do have a lot of used machinery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	General 160.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1280979Click image for larger version

Name:	General 260.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1280980
            QC Inspector likes this.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
              I can’t help with General lathe parts, other than getting a donor lathe and they do come up, not often though.

Yes the 160 has the 1”X8TPI both inboard and outboard with outboard being lefthand thread, the 260 has 1 ¼” X8 tpi inboard and 1 ⅛” X 8 tpi LH outboard

He might not like to resurrect the outboard thread, but with a good thread file it can certainly made usable for say a hand wheel.

You could get in touch with http://fordmachinery.com/index.php they do have a lot of used machinery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	General 160.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1280979Click image for larger version

Name:	General 260.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1280980
              Thanks for clarifying that Leo. I was pretty sure that the General that I worked on had 1 1/8 8 on the outboard side. It must have been the 260.

Comment

Working...
              X