Segmented turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segmented turning

I took a segmented turning course over the winter down in Phoenix. Loved the experience, but the instructor really ticked me off at one point when he stated flat out that segmenting could not be done unless you had a table saw and a drum sander. Period.

when we got home and I found myself with time on my hands I started doing some laying around with segments using my high tech segmenting jig (picture below).

Click image for larger version

Name:	1259E99F-7B02-4CB0-B1C1-035F24565ED0.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	773.8 KB
ID:	1283120

Then started watching YouTube videos (always a mistake) and decided I should build a segmenting jig and try this power saw cutting thing, so I built a segmenting jig based on Jerry Bennett’s sled design (picture below).

WOrks like a charm, so I’m happy with that.

Now on to more segmented projects. Click image for larger version

Name:	F62A1677-1618-485D-9020-BAAF9728F992.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1283119
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Segmented turning

Where there's a will, there's a way.
    I would have thought your instructor would have said "this is the way I do it, and it works for me."
    Because, that's the way it works in turning.
    Nice sled.
    KenL likes this.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Re: Segmented turning

What school and who was the instructor? I hope that you pointed out the flaws in his narrow-mindedness!

Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post
      I took a segmented turning course over the winter down in Phoenix. Loved the experience, but the instructor really ticked me off at one point when he stated flat out that segmenting could not be done unless you had a table saw and a drum sander. Period.
      All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
      - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Working...
      X