threader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threader

I have this threader for my lathe and have no idea how it works.If anyone has any info or links for this I would appreciate it if you would share it with me
    thank you
    Al
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2230.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1283721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1283722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1283723
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: threader

What makes it a ''threader''? I have never seen such a device, looking forward to finding out more.
    Rob

Comment

its a Carba-tec. i cant find anything on the net

Comment

it came from lee valley on one of their year end flash sales.yt was sold as a threader an came with a cutter but no instruction. i did find that it is no longer made

Comment

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/...od-t40558.html

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/th...ter-jig-195168

Comment

Alan, I had some trouble with this forum loading up, so never saw your post, sorry.

The threader works with the piece held on your threader either on a faceplate or in a chuck that threads onto the spindle of the threader, the cutter is held in your lathe and spins fast.

As you rotate the spindle of your threader, with the to be threaded piece mounted, it rotates and goes forward, and the cutter will cut the thread.

So that is basically it, depending the thread on the threader spindle, it will make that same thread on your piece, you could get different spindles as I recall for other size threads.

You have to mount the threader at your lathes center height, so you probably have to make a riser to do that, and it has to be in line with your lathes spindle, or you will get a tapered thread.

You have to turn the piece to the exact size, so that the thread when cut, fits in the other part with the same thread, so you will have to calculate the sizes your pieces have to be, chamfer the edges to get a nicer start of the thread.

When you have made the thread cut, do not just back the piece up, as it will probably destroy the thread you just made, for the simple reason that any slack or play in your setup would now cut a thread at a slightly different place.

Hard dense wood works best, and don’t make a total sharp thread, as the tops of the thread will break very easily.

That’s all I can think off right of the top of my head, have fun, take your time to figure it out and write it down.

I’ll add a couple more threading setups here that maybe help with visualizing how it is used, couple are home build and use a router to get a higher speed on the cutter.

Whoops, looks like I made a new thread, see below
            Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 05-18-2020, 11:27 AM.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
              Hard dense wood works best, and don’t make a total sharp thread, as the tops of the thread will break very easily.

That’s all I can think off right of the top of my head, have fun, take your time to figure it out and write it down.
              Leo have you done wood threading with your metal lathe? Does it go down to 2 threads per inch or there abouts?

Comment

These are some of the setups I have pictures of.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Fred Holder had a book on making wood threads and there are versions of that jig or ones like it and how to use them in it. I have one squirrelled away somewhere.

https://www.amazon.ca/Making-Screw-T.../dp/1861081952

Pete

I sit corrected. I found the book in my "library" and it doesn't have that jig in it, just the working principles of that type.
                  Last edited by QC Inspector; 05-18-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Leo have you done wood threading with your metal lathe? Does it go down to 2 threads per inch or there abouts?
                    No I have not done any wood threading on my metal lathe, I don’t recall to what speed the carriage can be moved in relation to the spindle speed, no intention to do anything like that anymore.

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Most smaller metal lathes have 4 threads per inch as the lowest pitch. My 12x36 is that way. It isn't until you get bigger machines that would have the power to cut 2 TPI threads. Now with a CNC lathe or a retrofit to a smaller one you could.

Pete

Comment

Thanks all. A kind person from Englad sent me a PDF of the manual
                        Al

Comment

Originally posted by akuntz View Post
                          Thanks all. A kind person from Englad sent me a PDF of the manual
                          Al
                          great can you post it here somewhere?

Comment

here is the manual
                            cabra tec.pdf

Comment

Working...
                            X