Jet lathe extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet lathe extension

I have a Jet 1014vs. It has been a good little lathe for me, but I would like to have a slight longer bed sometimes for some chair legs. Looks like they stopped making the extension for it. I am debating looking to see if something like a craftex extension for their lathe would work, like this:

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...-ct160ext.html

But I need dimensions to know if it will line up with the jet or not.

My other thought was to build and extension. Looks like a few people have gone that route. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Jet lathe extension

You probably could, if necessary, drill the holes to match the Jet such that the alignment is good. Perhaps a more critical issue is the bed gap so the tailstock and banjo fits nicely in it.

People have done various things to make their bed length longer such as putting to lathes back-to-back a distance apart to turn boat masts, making their extensions out of wood or angle-iron or a combination of both. If chair legs are the goal, I would say it is not a real demanding task to make something.

Hopefully, somebody with real experience doing this will give you some ideas and advice.

billh

Comment

Scott I don’t have the 160 but I do have the CX 813 vs and it looks almost identical to your Jet. I have taken a picture and also done a drawing of the end view of the lathe with the measurements I think you need (please excuse my poor artistic skills). If it will work and you are able to get it (I am in London) you are welcome to mine. It came with my lathe when I bought it (used) but I will never use it. It just takes up space. Please feel free to pm me if you want to talk more.

Mike

Comment

Mike, it does look like it might be a clone. The dimenions all seem to line up, the height on mine is 6 5/8 but that was just the body with the foot it was 7". The feet on the jet are just rubber feet in the slots, but that would mean adding adjustable feet would be easy. Once things clear up weather wise and also pandemic wise I am sure I can get down to London. Would be a good excuse to take the motorcycle out, or just get out for a drive.

Comment

Consider it yours whenever. I am in no rush to get rid of it. Keep in mind if your riding a bike, it is almost 20” long and probably 20 lbs. by the way this has the same adjustable rubber feet on the one end of the extension.

Mike

Comment

If Mike's doesn't work out, I ran across one http://www.islandwoodcraft.ca/newcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_98&produc ts_id=54

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X