Cedar bowl questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar bowl questions

I've only been turning for about 2 months now and wanted to try some bowls. I found some rather large logs and one happened to be cedar. I cut off a chunk and decided to make an 8" end grain bowl. Up until now I've only turned ash from a tree I cut in my yard and made some smaller things like tops, goblets and a box.

I noticed that cedar seems to have alot more tearing than I expected, especially on the end grain. I don't have a bowl gouge so I use a skew to hollow out my things.

I am wondering if you folks could toss me some tips for hollowing out this bowl and what to expect from the cedar.

Here are some photos of the bowl and the other things I've made. The box isn't finished in the photo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cedar bowl questions

Good stuff for only 2 months turning, I am not familiar with using a skew I only use gauges and can't see how you would cut inside a bowl with a skew, others here will tell you.
    I have turned a lot of bowls but non end grain however all woods are different and soft can be a problem, sharp tools are a must I use a diamond card all the time the chisel feels sharp but won't cut good I give it a rub and its a different cut, inside bowls I use a 45 degree to 55 degree grind gouge, you have to experiment and find what works for you.
    Join a club and watch others turning you learn what not to do and what to do.

Comment

The softer the wood, the more prone it is to tear out. And cedar is very soft. To avoid tear out, higher speed helps, as well as VERY sharp tools and very fine cuts. Shallow bowls are more attractive (you could make at least 2 out of yours) and much easier to make fine cuts because you can approach from the side. But not with a skew.
      Last edited by Art in Prince George; 05-17-2020, 02:06 AM.
      KenL likes this.

Comment

Thank you, I thought that might be what is happening. I don't turn at very high speeds but will give that a try.

Comment

To me, using a skew to hollow is something I would never consider.
          To me that seems threateningly dangerous.
          John@Hamilton likes this.
          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Please don't use a skew for hollowing least of all at high speed you are heading for a very nasty catch. I would not consider it . You probably are scraping with it but it really does not have the metal behind the cutting edge to scrape safely. and the grind angles are too acute. .

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thank you folks for help. I cut it in half, turned up the speed and used my ⅝ gouge. Here is the result with sealer on it and drying.

Comment

Here is the finished product. There are a few holes? Nicks? Pores? But that was all I wanted to do for this. Thank you for your help and advice.

KenL likes this.

Comment

Good looking items.
                  Egon
                  from
                  The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                  X