Which chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chuck

I have turned a couple of pens on my new cx813 and looking to explore what else I can turn. I know it’s limitations and certainly not looking to turn anything large but i know the possibilities of this lathe will be expanded greatly if I had a chuck to add to the arsenal. I have read enough to know that Oneway is the holy grail of lathe chucks but I am not sure which one. The original Oneway or the Talon. What are the differences and why should I pick one over the other? Also my spindle is 1” x 8 tpi. Does that mean I need the 1” xi 8 tpi adaptor. Any advice is appreciated as always. Thank you.

Mike
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Which chuck

I own the Nova G3, specifically the anniversary bundle. Comes with 3 different jaws, worm screw and Cole jaws

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I would definitely look at the vicmarc VM100 available at Branches to Bowls. In my opinion, this is a much better Chuck than the Talon, smother scroll mechanism, sealed back, allen key operated, match set jaws for repeatable and accurate re-chucking. Sold my Talon chucks and replaced them with these. The oneway chucks are overrated in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MapleBD View Post
        I would definitely look at the vicmarc VM100 available at Branches to Bowls. In my opinion, this is a much better Chuck than the Talon, smother scroll mechanism, sealed back, allen key operated, match set jaws for repeatable and accurate re-chucking. Sold my Talon chucks and replaced them with these. The oneway chucks are overrated in my opinion.
        Totally agree. There is a world of difference. I originally went with Oneway because they came with various second hand lathes I bought and they seemed to be OK. Then I got hold of a VM100 and found how a chuck should work. Dovetail jaws are far better than the Oneway and use a slightly different dovetail angle than both Oneway and Nova. I like and use the built in indexing on the back of the Vicmarcs. Yes they are more expensive but you certainly get what you pay for. Oneway chucks are certainly popular but I think it has more to do with price point and availability. Now there's the Record chucks to also consider. They can use the Nova jaws and appear to be a better made Asian chuck than the Nova. I guess it all comes down to price and how much use you have for a chuck or any other tool for that matter, but I still trust my Vicmarcs far more than I ever trusted the Oneways to provide a really secure hold on a piece of wood.

Comment

The cx813 has a 12 inch swing so I don't think you will be turning anything too big.
          I have a couple of Novas and a Oneway and they are both fine for just about anything I can fit on my lathe (Delta Midi). The Oneway will need a 1X8 adapter but if you move up to a larger lathe in the future with different threads, you just need to change the adapter instead of the whole chuck.
          As long as you stay within the limits of your lathe and use a bit of care, I think you will be happy with any of the brands mentioned above.

BTW. the original Oneway uses levers to close instead of a chuck key. Many find that fiddly to use but I find it easy.
          Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 05-21-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

KMS tools has a Nova G3 on sale right now for $149 https://www.kmstools.com/nova-g3-chuck-1-x-8-tpi-20090

Comment

You don't need anything too robust for that lathe.
              However, a lot of folks buy bigger lathes, and probably want bigger chucks.
              Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Roundhead View Post

... but I still trust my Vicmarcs far more than I ever trusted the Oneways to provide a really secure hold on a piece of wood.
                You Vicmarc fans make it sound like the Oneway can't hold a piece of wood. I am not against Vicmarc because they are excellent chucks and the sealed back is a good feature. But having Oneway Strongholds and Talons I can say that I've never, ever, had a piece come out of a Oneway chuck in spite of a serious catch. In fact, I've rarely had to re-chuck after such an event. I use their profile jaws on external tenons and although I also have a set of dovetails I've never seen a real need to use them.

billh

Comment

Thank you for all the tips. And your right. I won’t be turning anything large. And I very much doubt there will be a bigger lathe in the future. Shop just isn’t big enough. Many others to consider now as well. I had just heard so many good things about Oneway and they are locally made so I liked that.

Mike

Comment

FYI those are pretty good and experienced turners in post 9
                    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

another vote for the oneway, I have both a stronghold and a talon, the talon gets used for pen work, pepper mills and small bowls, the stronghold for everything else. my lathe will swing 18 inches on the outboard side.
                      the oneway chucks can be run in reverse, they have threaded holes for set screws to lock the chuck to the spindle, many chucks do not have this

one day in the near future, you will want a bigger lathe, that's a given!! a bigger lathe may have a different thread and/or an outboard thread which will be LH. its very easy to change the adaptor on a oneway because of the "taper lock" design. I use this regularly, my small lathe uses 3/4 by 10 tpi, the big lathe is 1 by 8 tpi and I use the talon on both

btw, the spigot jaws make drilling pen blanks so easy, you'll never use a drill press again!

the stronghold is way too big, the talon is the ideal size for your lathe. I debated getting the simple oneway but the two levers seemed too cumbersome
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

of course the choice criteria is "made in Canada vs "made in china", Oneway being the Canadian product
                        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I own an Axminster Goliath chuck which was one of the two finalists when I bought my CX802 lathe and I couldn't be happier with it! The other contender was the One Way Stronghold which has received ringing endorsements from every owner that I talked to. For me, it came down to what Lee Valley had in stock when I ordered it (plus 5 jaw sets)

The Oneway is a great quality Canadian product, the Axminster is a great quality British product. Oneway would treat you right IMO.

Ken

Comment

Thank you everyone for all your advice. After rereading all of these posts, I have gone with what I believe is the majority and my own beliefs and ordered the Talon from Oneway. Thanks again for all your input.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike66 View Post
                              Thank you everyone for all your advice. After rereading all of these posts, I have gone with what I believe is the majority and my own beliefs and ordered the Talon from Oneway. Thanks again for all your input.

Mike
                              well done, and the factory is only a half hour from you! especially good if you need another set of jaws
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...
                              X