Dust collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection

I have a 2 hp dust collector from Harbour Freight. I recently purchased a Super Dust Deputy to go to ba 2 stage system. In was wondering what would be better: 1) buying a canister filter or 2) exhausting the fine stuff outside through something like a dryer vent? Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dust collection

First thing to consider is that you are blowing conditioned (heated or cooled by air-conditioning) outside and it has to be made up by the house sucking in outside air. Now London isn't the far north but it warrants consideration. Also, a dry vent is rather small and if you have any length of pipe to the outside it likely will throttle the flow.
    You posted in the turning forum and if you are planning on catching high velocity, large shavings from something like green-wood turning, it isn't easy and usually not worth the bother.

billh

Comment

Piping for the vent will be about 12” long going through a concrete basement wall. I was leaning toward the Dust Rite wall mounted canister. Elite Tools (distributes Rockler stuff in Canada) has these but are temporarily out of stock. I turn mainly dry wood. I haven't turned green wood for quite some time. Most of the turning I do presently is basket illusion using maple. Thank you for Your reply

Comment

Place a canister outside with an in-line heat exchanger brining fresh air inside.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

If you fill the dust deputy it all goes straight out to either the canister filter of outside.
          I have a 45 gallon barrel with a separator lid on it before the fan and it works great
          but when I fill the barrel it does go to the dust bag and fills in seconds
          Dara
          SPCHT

Comment

If I exhaust to the outside it will only be the fine dust. The large shavings will go through the cyclone and then the bin. Correct

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
              If I exhaust to the outside it will only be the fine dust. The large shavings will go through the cyclone and then the bin. Correct
              The key is the amount of AIR you are exhausting. It has to be replaced somehow - maybe pulling water heater or furnace exhaust back into your home. You don't want that.
              Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
              X