need alive center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need alive center

Recently acquired a wood lathe. It came with a static cup center. I want to get a live center but how do I get the correct size?
    The one have is a standard Morris taper I believe. The small end is about 9/16. The big end is about 11/16.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: need alive center

Sounds like a MT2. Should be easy to find at Lee Valley or any other woodworking store near you.

Comment

Yes, very close to MT2 numbers and far away from MT1.   BTW, it's a Morse not Morris taper should you really care .

Here is an inexpensive one from Busy Bee. I use the Oneway which comes with handy accessories, LV also has what they call a medium duty one as well.
      billh

Comment

BTW, it's a Morse not Morris taper should you really care
        I knew that. Same as the guy who invented the dot and dashes code. Just a sleepy brain drain.
        Links did not show.
        What is Oneway? Is that a brand?

Comment

yes Oneway Manufacturing makes everything for wood turning at their factory in stratford ontario

not cheap stuff, one of the best!

my 1940's lathe has all oneway accessories from chucks to well everything else

their live center kit is a very useful quality unit with several accessory parts for different situations
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Thank you

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have this one, Lee Valley sells this one made by Oneway as others have mentioned. $129 Click image for larger version

Name:	66B0812-2-mt-live-center-f-45.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1291985
              sigpic
              hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

I have the same one as Bryan. Another handy feature of it is the rotating part is threaded 3/4-10TPI so you can get additional accessories or make your own to thread on. This can be handy at times since one of the most important things in woodturning right along with tool control is, "how do I hold this thing to turn it".
                The picture shows the large cone threaded onto the centre.
                billh

Comment

Working...
                X