Rikon 70-220VSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rikon 70-220VSR

I have decided to order the Rikon 70-220VSR with bed extension and I am thinking of getting  Nova 48246 G3 Anniversary Edition Chuck Kit (direct thread - fits 1" x 8tpi lathe spindles) with Case & 3 Jaw Sets from Amazon or elsewhere. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good choice for this lathe or better recommendations in a similar price range? I am hoping to do some bowls etc. but also some spindle type turning. I realize I won't be using the chuck for spindles. Thanks for any suggestions. Will probably order lathe on Tuesday and I'm hoping to have accessories come on or near same date.  Thanks for any suggestions.
    Previously Wallace's Dad
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rikon 70-220VSR

i would get a oneway talon.   maybe a little more money but it's made in canada not china
    extra jawsets are a phonecall and 48 hours away by mail from stratford
    all oneway chucks can be run in reverse but not all novas, many of them are not drilled for the required setscrew(s)
    customer service from oneway is excellent and quick, it rivals the service from lee valley and william woodwright
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion. I have left a contact message for them to let me know exactly what I need and how much it will cost.
      Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Woodchuckers (  https://woodchuckers.com/} also carries the Oneway chucks.    
        Don McFarland
        ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club
        http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

yup, so does busy bee, lee valley and many others
          if you gety tired of changing jaws regularly (like i did!) you can get a second "body only" which is just the chuck body and adaptor
          another big advantage of the oneway chucks is that it is really easy to change the adaptor for use on a second lathe with a different thread.   ican use my talon on both my pen lathe and my bigger lathe
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I am convinced that the Talon is what I'll be buying. Elite Tools in Quebec has a good price right now with free shipping and there are a couple of other small items on that I'll get at the same time. Thanks for your help.  

Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
              I am convinced that the Talon is what I'll be buying. Elite Tools in Quebec has a good price right now with free shipping and there are a couple of other small items on that I'll get at the same time. Thanks for your help.  

you are right, i was looking for a talon last year and their website came up.   we were travelling that way(to nb) so we stopped in(nice store)!   they had a couple of jawsets for both my stronghold(big oneway) and the talon, so i got those as well.
              knowledgable people, the guy asked why i wanted a talon with a set of stronghold mega jaws which dont fit the talon!.   they also had the 3/4x10 talon adaptor for my little pen lathe.   it was a pricey little stop on our vacation, lol

btw, i lost the crossbar for my stronghold chuck key a while back, i spoke to oneway and they sent me one, no charge
              Last edited by stevem; 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM.
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
                I have decided to order the Rikon 70-220VSR with bed extension and I am thinking of getting  Nova 48246 G3 Anniversary Edition Chuck Kit (direct thread - fits 1" x 8tpi lathe spindles) with Case & 3 Jaw Sets from Amazon or elsewhere. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good choice for this lathe or better recommendations in a similar price range? I am hoping to do some bowls etc. but also some spindle type turning. I realize I won't be using the chuck for spindles. Thanks for any suggestions. Will probably order lathe on Tuesday and I'm hoping to have accessories come on or near same date.  Thanks for any suggestions.
                I wonder why you say "you won't be using a chuck for spindle turning"   there is nothing wrong with putting a square piece of wood between the jaws of a chuck, if you then turn the other end (tail stock end) to the correct diameter for your jaws you can turn it end for end and hold that in the jaws too, with a large jaw set you can hold larger spindles as in newel posts, IMO you get a safer stronger hold using a chuck and jaws over a spur drive especially if the wood is prone to splitting or is soft.  

Comment

That would be just my inexperience talking. After I wrote it and did some more research I saw exactly what you said about a stronger hold. I never had a chuck with my old lathe.  
                  Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Working...
                  X