Delta 1460 lathe questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 1460 lathe questions

My son passed this unit to me, vintage probably 1943-1954 using the OWWM registry. Unfortunately no machine tag but a very legible Delta logo. Studying the logo's feel the machine is likely in that age range. It came with a spur centre and live centre, 1/4hp Delta Chinese motor but while it works will probably change motor to an older 1hp.

The live centre has raised a question/concern. The shank is 3 3/16" long and looks similar to what you see on metal lathes using adapters in the quill for drill chucks/bits. When you retract the 1460 quill this old live centre is ejected very similar to what happens with the live centre in my GI maxi lathe. When trying the newer live centre in the 1460 it stays in, even when the quill is fully retracted. As the tailstock has no hole like the headstock you need to force it out in some fashion. Has anyone with these old Delta lathes run into the same issue, and if so, what solution did you arrive at?

Secondly, my Oneway Talon chuck e/w the adapter [thread 1/2 - plain, part #0201] will not thread onto the headstock spindle. Do I need a different adapter and if so how do you separate the existing adapter from the chuck proper? Removed the 3 screws on the back but it failed to screw off or back out. Does anyone know if this is right or left hand threading?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Frank Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta 1460 c:w steel homemade stand.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	1297447 Click image for larger version

Name:	tailstock.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1297448 Click image for larger version

Name:	spur & live centers.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1297449
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Delta 1460 lathe questions

Hi Frank, I like the stand and you are correct, the motor is too small. As for ejecting the center from the tailstock, I used an open ended wrench between the drive and the body of the tailstock. Then when you wind the ram back the center falls out (or use one with a long tang). I believe that the headstock spindle is 1" x 8 tpi. With the correct adapter, you shouldn't have a problem threading the chuck onto the lathe.

Comment

Frank, the problem that you have regarding the live center not ejecting when retracting is solve by adding a brass screw at the end of the threading inside the tail stock. The problem is on the threading himself because it is a bit to short for what it as to do. I have myself a Delta Midi lathe and it as the same problem, so by addind a 1/4-20 brass screw at the end I solve the problem, it give me et good 1/4'' more on the screw and that's all what I need. For the adaptor, like what Tool Fan said it is a 1''-8 and you an get them either thru Oneway or Lee Valley. By the way, nice lathe you got their. I hope that I help you solve your problem. Buy the way on the brass screw, a bit of Loctite on the thread will prevent to un screw.

Comment

The Oneway thread adapter is not threaded onto the chuck body. They call it "taper-lock". After you remove the 3 screws, you can place 2 of them in the other holes on the adapter, evenly tighten the screws which forces the the adapter back out of the taper on the chuck body.
        billh

Comment

Thanks Rory, used an open end wrench and dead blow hammer gently, but was worried about damaging end of the quill. Your suggestion is much better. Next thing to figure is how to attach lower shelf on the stand for a jack shaft. Figure 2x8 fir plank bolted on plate between back legs and hole drilled for the single leg with some type of collar underneath.

Thanks oldtimers looking at the schematic see how the ball crank handle and gear come apart and exactly where you suggest adding the brass screw. Another great option to be able to use the newer live centre.

Bill, thanks for that info. Could find no instructions on either LV or Oneway sites but did wonder about those extra 2 holes. Got the chuck and adapter from LV originally, believe it came as part of the package, chose the Delta and General 160 from the list below.
          • Beaver : 7/8” × 14 tpi, #1 Morse taper
          • Craftsman and Coronet: 3/4” × 16 tpi, #1 Morse taper
          • Delta and General 160: 1” × 8 tpi, #2 Morse taper
          • General 260: 1 1/4 " × 8 tpi, #2 Morse taper
          • Shopsmith: 5/8” plain
          • Harrison: 1 1/2" × 6 tpi, #2 Morse taper
          • Conover: 1 1/2" × 8 tpi, #3 Morse taper
          See on the Oneway site an adapter Part No 0227 - 1-8 RH/LH OnewayTalon. Is this the correct chuck adapter to get for the Talon chuck for the Delta 1460?
          Thanks again
          Frank

Comment

I found 2 references stating the Delta thread is 1x8tpi so the 0227 part you specified is the one. The RH/LH, in case you are unaware, allows the chuck to be used on both inboard and outboard sides of the headstock where the outboard thread will be a left-handed. This assumes Delta provided a 1-8TPH LH thread on the outboard side of the spindle. Stupid General for some reason on their 260 lathe made the inboard 1-1/4 and the outboard 1-1/8" but that's my problem not yours .
            billh

Comment

Thanks Bill, got the thread adapter off per your advice then tried the adapter by itself on the Delta spindle. It went on so put it back on the chuck and threaded the chuck onto the spindle. No idea why it was a problem initially. Thanks again for your help.
              Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank English View Post
                Thanks Rory, used an open end wrench and dead blow hammer gently, but was worried about damaging end of the quill. Your suggestion is much better. Next thing to figure is how to attach lower shelf on the stand for a jack shaft. Figure 2x8 fir plank bolted on plate between back legs and hole drilled for the single leg with some type of collar underneath.
                If you are going to replace the motor anyway, why not get a 3 phase and vfd and not have to worry about making a platform for a jack shaft?
                iamtooler likes this.

Comment

I have a 1460 and installed a jack shaft which I removed the same day for two reasons. First, there was a lot of back loading and second I hated fussing with belts. I got a 11/2 hp 3phase motor and a VFD and never looked back. Variable speed on the fly plus reverse. Also the 1460 is 1x8 in and outboard with the outboard LH. The Oneway LH/Rh adapter works perfectly. As an aside, pay attention to the sound and feel of the headstock bearings. If they’ve never been changed they may need to be replaced. Instructions are on Vintage Machinery and not hard to do. Pound of prevention and that lathe will last another 75 years. Good luck.
                  I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
                  Bob
                  Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

Rory and Bobmezz, good alternative suggestion regarding a 3 phase motor with VFD option vs jackshaft arrangement. Like idea of reverse as found it very useful when sanding pens on my GI. Next question is there a specific type of VFD you recommend? Believe Garrett Forsberg was/is selling VFD units. Will search the forum to see what information is available on this modification.

Rory, is there a local supplier for used 3phase motors or do you just keep an eye on Used Victoria/Cowichan/Nanaimo and or Craigslist adds? Will check into the headstock bearings, think they are okay but did download the instruction sheet from Delta that Leo posted on replacing headstock bearings recently.
                    Thanks to you both.
                    Frank

Comment

At the risk of offending Jack (who I have an awful lot of respect for), I buy VFD's from Amazon, Bangood or Ebay for around $100. I really like Amazon as shipping is much faster than the other alternatives. The specific VFD depends upon the motor. Using 0.75 kw as I HP, I get a VFD that is at least equal to the HP of the motor and often greater. As an example, I just converted a couple of Rockwell lathes to VFD drive. The motors were 3/4 HP and I used a 0.75 kw VFD. I buy used 3 phase motors from used sites, the Restore and have been given a couple.

There has been some discussion on this board about the life of a VFD. It may be that the cheaper offshore ones that I use will not last as long as the more expensive American made ones. I have no experience with the expensive ones, so can not comment. Maybe Jack can enlighten us.

As Bob points out, they provide a lot of advantages including variable speed. Once you've had one, you will be a convert as I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X