General Maxi-Lathe VS+ Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Maxi-Lathe VS+ Reborn

Well I noticed a few threads in the forum concerning the variable control longevity and problems with the General Maxi-Lathe VS+, and some solutions. My original version of the lathe made in 2006 still works, so I was concerned that it was going to burnout and I was not sure I wanted to invest in any more accessories for the lathe. A few weeks ago someone had a burned out maxi lathe for sale, and I always wanted to buy another bed to lengthen my lathe, so I bought it for $100. I fooled around with the motor and realized it was not an AC motor as the information plate said, and the manual for the second version of the lathe said, and what CWI states their version of this lathe has. CWI wanted to sell me both controllers that they stock (front one with knob, switch and digital speed read out, and rear exterior mounted module) since they took over the line from GI which went under. So once I found out it was the same motor as my older lathe, which is a 3/4hp 8amp 90v DC motor, I sourced an external high quality DC variable controller from KB electronics, which cost me $330 with tax and shipping. I mounted the new off the shelf controller on a board, put a plug connection on and a big safety switch, and now I have a big long lathe with two headstocks! I bought a $23 optical tachometer to calibrate the machine to match original speed ranges, and it works great! This way I can use either headstock with this controller once the original lathe controller goes, or if one of the motors burns out etc... Best of all if I damage the new controller, it is easily repairable. Have a look below!

Attached Files
    tool fan, Stuart Jacobs and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: General Maxi-Lathe VS+ Reborn

Well done with the repair job.
    Very interesting use of the second lathe. Will you use the second end for dedicated outboard turning?
    Darrin

Timber Elegance
    My Etsy Store

Comment

Planning to use the repaired headstock the most till the motor burns out. Outboard I can turn almost 18" pieces. I decided to use a plug on the cable from the motor so I can remove that head stock easily to make full use of the bed length.

Comment

I would certainly be interested in knowing exactly what parts you had to buy and if you have a schematic of how it was wired. My Maxi had numerous electronic issues. For a period of time I thought it might become an anchor but it came back to life and has been working for about a year without any big issues. The reverse will not work now. Does your modification have reverse? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comment

Just the KB Electronics KBPC-240d penta drive. This unit can do dc motors up to 1hp. You just have to follow instructions for moving jumpers specific to your motor specs. Ac power in, dc out. You can adjust dc output from 0 to 100v dc. Min/max. There is an option you can buy for it to go in reverse. But to save money you can just have two plug recepticles and reverse poles for one of the plugs.

Comment

Thanks Rolf for the info.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Just have to say, that shop looks way, way too clean and tidy!

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf In Burlington View Post
                Just the KB Electronics KBPC-240d penta drive. This unit can do dc motors up to 1hp. You just have to follow instructions for moving jumpers specific to your motor specs. Ac power in, dc out. You can adjust dc output from 0 to 100v dc. Min/max. There is an option you can buy for it to go in reverse. But to save money you can just have two plug recepticles and reverse poles for one of the plugs.

Or for simple forward/reverse wire in a dpdt switch into the DC circuit. They are about $8 at Princess Auto

Comment

Working...
                X