Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glad I ordered a talon and not another Nova!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad I ordered a talon and not another Nova!

Well I took Leo's advice and ordered a Talon from Lee Valley. I switched my sights to Oneway from a Supernova 2 after KMS Tools cancelled a big order (chuck, 4 jaw sets, CA glue, etc) because of a glitch, and the lady on the phone was not very helpful in dealing with the glitch. It turned out as a blessing I would say. I saw some threads on here about the Nova wobble on the Chinese made chucks, and Leo chimed in on the fact that they had problems before moving production to China. Both of my Nova Midi chucks are made in NZ. I never noticed a wobble before I guess because I wasn't looking for it, and there was always something in the chucks which may have kept my attention elsewhere. Today I put a chuck on and the chuck body did not seem to wobble, but the jaws did. I even reseated the 2 " set, same wobble, put the 1" on, same wobble, all the numbers were matched up, and everything was clean, no burs etc... I remember feeling unevenness, but I just thought it was the nature of the wood etc... The jaws close up nice and there are no visibly detectable gaps when closed.

Hope the Talon spins true when it comes this week!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Glad I ordered a talon and not another Nova!

I bet it will.
    Mine do.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I have a talon and a stronghold. Both spin true.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf In Burlington View Post
        Well I took Leo's advice and ordered a Talon from Lee Valley. I switched my sights to Oneway from a Supernova 2 after KMS Tools cancelled a big order (chuck, 4 jaw sets, CA glue, etc) because of a glitch, and the lady on the phone was not very helpful in dealing with the glitch. It turned out as a blessing I would say. I saw some threads on here about the Nova wobble on the Chinese made chucks, and Leo chimed in on the fact that they had problems before moving production to China. Both of my Nova Midi chucks are made in NZ. I never noticed a wobble before I guess because I wasn't looking for it, and there was always something in the chucks which may have kept my attention elsewhere. Today I put a chuck on and the chuck body did not seem to wobble, but the jaws did. I even reseated the 2 " set, same wobble, put the 1" on, same wobble, all the numbers were matched up, and everything was clean, no burs etc... I remember feeling unevenness, but I just thought it was the nature of the wood etc... The jaws close up nice and there are no visibly detectable gaps when closed.

Hope the Talon spins true when it comes this week!
        Just hope it isn't the headstock spindle, still you will have the best chuck to work with

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

as far as i know, everything on both of my lathes is canadian made including both lathes, even the motors!
          the only exception are my pen mandrels and one of them has a wobble, the only thing that does, i guess my old drill chuck is us made

any chuck jaw fits in any location on the chuck
          switching adaptors is a breeze with just an allen key although the 1 by 8tpi adaptors are threaded for both lh and rh threads
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I have a Nova, and 2 Supernova 2 chucks Made in NZ. No problems with them at all. My other chucks are all Oneway.
            sigpic
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

I bought a Nova Infinite chuck 2nd hand and I have always had trouble with it, it has a slight wobble (made in China), all my other chucks are nova (not Infinite) but older ones so I guess made in NZ they are all good and run true, so so much easier to use when there is no wobble, I may gust drop Nova a line and see what response I get.
              Its Thanks to this forum that I now understand its in the manufacture of the chuck and not that the chuck was abused before I got it or something I am doing wrong.

Comment

i had an older nova, it had made in new zealand on the box, bought a set of jaws(nova chinese) and they didnt run true but the chuck did with the original jaws
                i switched to oneway
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I know this is probably a foolish question, but ....

can the jaws for a Nova be used with a RecordPower or OneWay chuck, or am I making a much larger investment than just the chuck?

Comment

I think Teknatool made jaws for Record so they are interchangeable except the affinity line or whatever its called that are quick release. I guess if you can exchange stuff easy, Novas are still a good product. Get one without a wobble. One way only fits one way, stronghold does not fit talon, and some talon does not fut their standard chuck.

Comment

Oh, and my Talon turns true! And I modified my Nova Cole jaws to handle bigger bowls......
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf In Burlington View Post
                        Oh, and my Talon turns true! And I modified my Nova Cole jaws to handle bigger bowls......
                        Oh good for you Rolf, you will enjoy the quality of that Oneway chuck

One thing here for you, (and I'm not advocating what you are doing with the Cole Jaws) get the Oneway buttons, they are shaped better and hold better than what you have now.

The Oneway buttons have a tapered steel core and will hold better, also you can (I do ) stack buttons on top of each other to get a grip higher up if that is needed, they are about $26-- IIRC,

I have several sets some that came with the different Jumbo jaws and I also bought an extra set, as my oldest Mega Jumbo jaw button where starting to show their age and hard work treatment I gave them in over 20 years of use.

I did use stacked buttons here on this bowl as the rim edge was away from the Jumbo jaws face, this gave me a better and safer and a delicate hold on the bowl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacked buttons.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1302135

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Yes, I have to order them from One way direct as Lee Valley does not carry them. I don't like my Nova buttons, even when they were new 12 years ago they were too hard.

Comment

i've ordered some stuff directly from oneway,, the're just as quick as anybody else but easiest way is by phone.
                            you cant order directly from the website
                            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...
                            X