Hollowmaster 3/4in. Shank sorby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollowmaster 3/4in. Shank sorby

Looking at buying a couple of new chisels. Anyone have any experience with this? RS230KTBRAND:Robert Sorby HOLLOWMASTER 3/4IN. SHANK SORBY

I want to try turning bowls. Looks good in their video.
    Previously Wallace's Dad
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Hollowmaster 3/4in. Shank sorby

It's basically a scraper with changeable cutters. Scraping is not the ideal way to make a bowl since it is harder to get a smooth surface. Yes, it looks lovely in the video but doesn't everything look good in manufacturer's videos? If you already have some tools, you likely have a round-nose scraper and you could use that to make a bowl.
    I would recommend the more conventional approach and suggest you get something like a high-speed steel 1/2" bowl gouge from Lee Valley or other supplier.

Some turners have indeed used similar tools to the Sorby you referenced and they are often called Oland tools because of the person who popularized them. Easy to make yourself, get a round metal bar and mount a removable metal cutter in the end. Have a look at: http://www.aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml Since the round bar doesn't have to lay flat, it is possible to do a shearing cut with it.

billh

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
      Looking at buying a couple of new chisels. Anyone have any experience with this? RS230KTBRAND:Robert Sorby HOLLOWMASTER 3/4IN. SHANK SORBY

I want to try turning bowls. Looks good in their video.
      If you want to try turning bowls, buy one or two bowl gouges (Sorry does make very good tools, and BB does carrie them, don't start with scrapers that are not for turning bowls, some turners do use the hollow master for cleaning up the rough insides of a hollow form turning.

Right above that hollow master are two bowl gouges, the 3/8" would be good for a smaller lathe and bowls (The actual size of the steel is about 1/2" as the English way of measuring the turning tools is the flute size) I have a couple of those and of the larger one as well.

That gouge should last you a couple of decades, mine did with just regular use and sharpening.

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Leo is correct, I have a whole range of bowl gouges from 10mm to 19mm, its the angle of grind that is also important mine range from 35 degrees to 55 degree but mostly I use a 45 degree grind, I also have a heavy negative rake scraper (as Leo says) its good for very light cuts at the very final stage inside a bowl if I was better with a gouge I would not need the scraper, still practicing.
        I have never used a hollow master but I have 2 of them.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback guys.
          I have the Deluxe set "MODEL 2304BRAND:Woodstock" from BB now that has a 3/8" bowl gouge. I have sharpened it to match factory angle and it works well. I will practice with it more. I'll probably pick up a 1/2" Sorby as well and try different grind angles, starting with the gouge from the set.
          Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
            Thank you for the feedback guys.
            I have the Deluxe set "MODEL 2304BRAND:Woodstock" from BB now that has a 3/8" bowl gouge. I have sharpened it to match factory angle and it works well. I will practice with it more. I'll probably pick up a 1/2" Sorby as well and try different grind angles, starting with the gouge from the set.
            Stuart that is a good set especially if bought at a sale price, I bought 3 sets gave one set to my son in Ottawa and use a couple of the tools out of the one set, the other set is waiting to be used by the next generation, HOWEVER

there is not a real bowl gouge in that set, as they are not a deep enough U, more like a spindle gouge, and that is what I use these tools for, especially where I use bowl gouges with a more original grind, see picture.

I do have others with the Irish grind on them as well, but these are my most used bowl gouges with the "original grind" tools.

Click image for larger version  Name:	my tools.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	1302165

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

"there is not a real bowl gouge in that set, as they are not a deep enough U, more like a spindle gouge, and that is what I use these tools for, especially where I use bowl gouges with a more original grind, see picture."

That is the feeling I had as well. It's pretty hard to tell the difference between the 2 gouges in the set. That's why I think I'll pick up a Sorby 1\2" bowl gouge. BB is out of stock right now. If you can think of a similar quality gouge I could try something else. Just had my mind set on a Sorby.
              I have ordered a Wolverine jig and Vari grind from LV and will wait for it before I start practicing sharpening different angles.

Thanks again for the feedback.
              Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

I have a Sorby and it is good but it sure isn't the only game in town. While I don't have any (yet), my next gouge purchase is going to be a Oneway. I know a lot of serious turners swear by them so I'm willing to give them a try.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/...2-beech-handle
                or a larger one, (be careful of British vs Others sizing of gouges)
                https://oneway.ca/products-category/...2-beech-handle
                These are examples, Oneway also has other gouges.
                billh

Comment

Certainly worth looking at. Price seems competitive as well. I was thinking of picking up a couple of other items from them so wouldn't be long getting to $150.00 min. for free shipping. Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about their chisels.
                  Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

I have one Oneway bowl gouge only, bought it years ago from person out of Quebec, (sorry forget his name) and I think it was without a handle and was fine with me, though I think hit was a second quality from Oneway, as to me the flute was not shaped properly, so my grind is not quite what I would like.

The steel is good, and that is another thing here you have to mind as these tools are Powder Metal and harder to sharpen with regular grinding wheels, a reason lots of turners now have the new CBN grinding wheels.

The tools Bill links to do look nice and a good price for that size, I wasn't aware of all the new turning tools they now sell, I will probably get one or two, not like I need them, but good to have a back-up sharpened and ready to go sometimes, seldom need that now, I seem to forget my age at times

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Hi Leo,
                      They Quebec person's name was probably Jacques Coulombe - at least that's the person I bought some stuff from what is now many years ago. Seems like he is still around and has a website for his wares.
                      billh

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                        Hi Leo,
                        They Quebec person's name was probably Jacques Coulombe - at least that's the person I bought some stuff from what is now many years ago. Seems like he is still around and has a website for his wares.
                        billh
                        Yes Bill that's the person.

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                        X