Canes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canes

We aren't getting any younger so I decided to make our canes ahead of time.

On the left is a birch blank and on the right the finished cane. Coloured with analine dyes and finished with Danish oil.

Randy in Calgary, Chimera and 4 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Canes

Always good to plan ahead, I made a couple canes about ten years ago for my mother and mother in law who have since passed. My sister in law has borrowed one temporarily as she prepares for knee surgery next month and I'm using the other temporarily after banging up my ankle. Mine are more natural looking from driftwood, your carved model looks good. Wish I'd taken pictures of the before like you did.

Comment

Art, can you post a close-up of the completed one?
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Like all your posted projects, beautiful work!
        However, I have started to use a cane due to knee and hip arthritis worsening and I would insist on having a foot on the cane so it will standup where I put it without needing something to lean it against. I now have one with a foot and consider it a big improvement over the regular little base. I'm sure you could make a foot.
        billh

Comment

That is one nice cane, worthy of Bat Masterson himself. I would use that even if I didn't need it, just to show it off!

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
            Art, can you post a close-up of the completed one?
            Best done in sections, I'm thinking.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Nice piece Art! I'm not so sure about the ergonomics of it for regular use but it is pretty. Well done!

Ken

Comment

Very nice one Art

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                  X