Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner turner beginning to turn

Hi all,

I managed to cram a Rockwell / Beaver 3400 into my already overcrowded shop a few weeks back and I've been playing around with it ever since. I'm extremely new to wood turning though I have some experience with metal lathes and I've used my tiny little toy Taig lathe to turn a couple handles in the recent past.

Last night I decided to take a crack at turning a captive ring, despite a complete lack of the correct tools or experience. Please forgive the rough finish, I was mostly trying to figure out how to get the shape I wanted and didn't sand the ring while it was easy. I've got a long, long ways to go but I'm pretty chuffed at how this worked out, especially since it's a chunk of 2by from the cutoff pile and I used the tip of a skew chisel to undercut the ring.

Now I see why this hobby is so darn addictive!

-Nate

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210126_224012.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1314767

Name:	20210126_224023.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	948.6 KB
ID:	1314766
    Beaverfever1988, Roundhead and 4 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Beginner turner beginning to turn

Originally posted by nolfert View Post
    Hi all,

I managed to cram a Rockwell / Beaver 3400 into my already overcrowded shop a few weeks back and I've been playing around with it ever since. I'm extremely new to wood turning though I have some experience with metal lathes and I've used my tiny little toy Taig lathe to turn a couple handles in the recent past.

Last night I decided to take a crack at turning a captive ring, despite a complete lack of the correct tools or experience. Please forgive the rough finish, I was mostly trying to figure out how to get the shape I wanted and didn't sand the ring while it was easy. I've got a long, long ways to go but I'm pretty chuffed at how this worked out, especially since it's a chunk of 2by from the cutoff pile and I used the tip of a skew chisel to undercut the ring.

Now I see why this hobby is so darn addictive!

-Nate
    ]
    Welcome to the Turning addiction Nate .

As I look at the piece you turned, I see the left hand end and the surface of the ring being pretty rough, more than it should be, and I wonder what tool/tools did you use the turn the wood ??

You can sand the surface into submission , but you should not have to do this, with the right kind of tool you won't need to, on soft woods like this you should not use scraper type of tools.

Not trying to put you down Nate, rather am trying to help/steer you with suggestions if I can.

I don't know which turning tools you have, so I will assume you do have the ones that turners use on spindles, to turn a square spindle to round most will use a Spindle roughing gouge, it works quickly and leaves a pretty good surface.

Next to shape the spinde the spindle gouge or the skew should be used, the skew can leave a surface you don't need to sand it is that smooth, the spindle gouge will also give you a good surface and it is easier to cut concave, where the skew does not work.

The ring you made is easier made if you have some spare bigger screw driver that you can grind and file to a shape that will let you shape the ring to a round ring, I've made quite a few tools for things like a loose ring and mini turnings hollowing etc.

A Dremel is a handy tool to have for things like that, I use concrete nails and screwdriver tips (long ones) etc and have used these, still do as the need arises, you might have to sharpen them more often but we don't remove a lot of wood.

Name:	mini tools.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1314843 Click image for larger version

Name:	small tools.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1314844 Click image for larger version

Name:	Maple Goblet.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1314845 Click image for larger version

Name:	goblet.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1314846

Redneck Albertan likes this.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks for the input, any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think the roughness at the end was because I (fairly carelessly) used my parting tool to knock the diameter down a bit. That was actually the tailstock end (mounted in a dead cup centre) and if this were anything but a test run I would have parted that bit off.

Your point about tools is definitely appreciated. I currently have two very similar sets of turning tools, a newer dirt cheap Mastercraft set and an older Great Neck set that came with the lathe. The Great Neck tools are still very basic but are of a notably higher quality than the Mastercraft tools. I'm obviously still working on my sharpening technique, but having doubles of everything means I'm not shy about trying new grinds / new ways of grinding!

For instance, all of the spindle gouges in the sets have a gentle curve across the nose. I reground one of the largest ones flat across the nose with a ~45° bevel to more closely resemble a roughing gouge and noticed a fairly immediate improvement in performance. I also took the wings back a bit on a medium sized spindle gouge and am enjoying it much more (a previous test run had some bad bites from the corner of the wing while cutting an inside curve). I'm thinking of getting even more aggressive on the wings next time out.

I played with the skew a bit but I think that one is going to require a lot more practice! It doesn't help that the tool rest is pretty marked up from the PO and as soon as the skew isn't on the flat it catches in the nicks on the tool rest. Unless there's some reason not too I think I'll take a file to the tool rest to clean it up. I'll also have to spend some time with Youtube to try to see what good technique looks like.

As for making a ring tool, I suspect one of the extra skew chisels will eventually get a hole through it to approximate the version Lee Valley sells. That can wait for a general improvement in skills on my part, though!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. I am constantly inspired by the work you and others post and I'm smart enough to know that I don't know nuthin', so I'm willing to listen!
      Leo Van Der Loo likes this.

Comment

You sure started at the deep end
        Spend some time digesting all the info on this site wold be a good start https://turnawoodbowl.com/turn-a-woo...owls-on-lathe/
        beachburl likes this.

Comment

Seriously consider joining a turning club and you aren't far from a real good one, Valley Woodturners. www.valleywoodturners.com
          Like all gatherings they are likely not functioning normally but I assure you they are a great group of very helpful people. As I have frequently said, I was self-taught and experienced and thought I knew it all and was amazed at how much I learned from joining the club. I know others will recommend joining a club for the help, presentations, possible courses and library among other benefits.
          billh

Comment

Here in NZ there is a guy (old so lots of experience) who is always demonstrating at wood turning shows, he turns baby rattles all day at those shows https://www.facebook.com/ggw.org.nz/...10064249166677 Leith Gray is his name, He makes a lot of his own tooling for doing what you are doing, it looks like he uses old blades from planers sharpens up the end and wraps some tape around for an handle, there would be 10 rings around a spindle big and small rings, and he is fast, just wonderful to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
              Here in NZ there is a guy (old so lots of experience) who is always demonstrating at wood turning shows, he turns baby rattles all day at those shows https://www.facebook.com/ggw.org.nz/...10064249166677 Leith Gray is his name, He makes a lot of his own tooling for doing what you are doing, it looks like he uses old blades from planers sharpens up the end and wraps some tape around for an handle, there would be 10 rings around a spindle big and small rings, and he is fast, just wonderful to watch.
              Funny you should mention that, baby rattles is what led me down this road in the first place. More specifically ones with the rattle-y bit inside, but that led me to the captive rings rattling on the outside which led me to give 'er a go.

As for the rattle-y inside version, here's lathe project #2. A woodworker friend (much more talented than me) just had a baby and I thought this would be a great lathe exercise to improve my skills. Off to the scrap bin for some figured maple and rosewood and this is what I've come up with.

The middle three laminations have a 3/4" hole bored through (about centred in each lobe) with a handful of small beads inside. Hopefully it will provide enough rattle to be interesting to the little one while not being too annoying to any big ones around!

This is before finishing, one picture is a bit darker because of a quick wipe with mineral spirits. There's a bit of tear-out but less than I expected for my limited turning skills and using figured wood. Now I need to part and sand the ends and finish the whole thing with something safe for little mouths!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210203_225735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	746.1 KB ID:	1316086 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210203_225623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	979.6 KB ID:	1316087

Comment

Originally posted by nolfert View Post

Funny you should mention that, baby rattles is what led me down this road in the first place. More specifically ones with the rattle-y bit inside, but that led me to the captive rings rattling on the outside which led me to give 'er a go.

As for the rattle-y inside version, here's lathe project #2. A woodworker friend (much more talented than me) just had a baby and I thought this would be a great lathe exercise to improve my skills. Off to the scrap bin for some figured maple and rosewood and this is what I've come up with.

The middle three laminations have a 3/4" hole bored through (about centred in each lobe) with a handful of small beads inside. Hopefully it will provide enough rattle to be interesting to the little one while not being too annoying to any big ones around!

This is before finishing, one picture is a bit darker because of a quick wipe with mineral spirits. There's a bit of tear-out but less than I expected for my limited turning skills and using figured wood. Now I need to part and sand the ends and finish the whole thing with something safe for little mouths!

Click image for larger version Name:	20210203_225735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	746.1 KB ID:	1316086 Click image for larger version Name:	20210203_225623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	979.6 KB ID:	1316087
                Great project, I like it when we can bounce off each other, if I was not so busy with every thing else I would give it a go.

Comment

Just thought I should dredge this post back up with an update, rattle #1 is complete and delivered! It was well received and with a few more new additions expected to the family-of-friends I'm thinking I should get to work on numbers 2 and 3.

Plus it's a handy way to use up some scraps!

Name:	20210401_171844.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	1325292
                  Unfortunately the direct sunlight in the photo washes out the grain a bit. The final finish was a handful of coats of homemade wiping poly (poly thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits) with intermittent sanding at around 400 and a final gentle buff with a grey 3M pad. It made for a pleasant satin finish.

Of course when we arrived for delivery it dropped out of the back of the van and onto the gravel. Oh well, if it's popular with the kiddo they'll probably do a lot more damage than that once the first tooth comes in.

Comment

Looks very nice.
                    Not to rain on parades but a lot of turners have stopped turning and selling baby rattles because of liability issues.
                    Here is the US standard for baby rattles and the dimensions of a test fixture for any part of the rattle so it doesn't cause a choking hazard. From the picture it looks like yours would be OK. What is not well defined in the link is the standard to ensure the rattle does not come apart.

Rattles Business Guidance | CPSC.gov

billh

Comment

And, when you eventually scroll down far enough https://www.toyassociation.org/App_T...althCanada.pdf will tell you that ours is the same.
                      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Thanks for the cautions guys, I appreciate any and all feedback!

I have no intentions to sell anything I make and I did take a cursory look at the regs and made the diameters larger than the minimum.

Comment

Working...
                        X