Need a new motor for my 3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new motor for my 3400

Hi guys , maybe this is not the right place but .... the motor on my beaver 3400 you crapped on me and need to replace it
    it was an old Hoover vacuum motor and someone rigged a reverse switch on it a long time ago
    i found a few on Kijiji but without the reverse and I don't now '' wiring'' enough to try and install one

any suggestions would be appreciated , close to Montreal
    "Do or do not; there is no try." >> Yoda
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need a new motor for my 3400

most single phase motors can have a reverse switch added, as long as somewhere on the motor is a wiring diagram with the words "to reverse rotation, exchange wire #5 and #8" or something along those lines.
    find a motor and we can walk you through it, ive done it many times, a couple of good pictures and it can be done with our help

for a motor, you need around 1/2 to 1 hp, 1750 rpm
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Hoover vacuum motor may be a universal motor (with brushes). If so will likely mean getting inside it and changing the present field connections around. Never done it myself.
      billh

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
        Hoover vacuum motor may be a universal motor (with brushes). If so will likely mean getting inside it and changing the present field connections around. Never done it myself.
        billh
        im sure it is bill, he wants to replace the motor
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Hi Steve, I had just assumed he had found a few vacuum motors. Shouldn't have assumed and come to think of it, vacuum motors by themselves wouldn't likely be common.
          billh

Comment

Of course all or nearly all vacuum motors do need the air blowing over them, or else they will burn out.

A regular 120V 1725RPM motor of about 1/2 to 3/4 hp will be what the OP needs, he can try KIJIJI or go see a electric motor repair shop, they often have small motors sitting around for sale.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Hi Guys sorry I was busy , found a motor ! will post pictures soon I will need suggestion on what type of switch to buy and how to wire them
              I'll be back soon
              "Do or do not; there is no try." >> Yoda

Comment

Working...
              X