Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy springtime neighbors!

Thanks for reading.

I’ve finally had an idea good enough to sell that I’m in the market for my first lathe. I’ve got about $600 in store credit at both HD and Lowe’s so for now I’m gonna settle for something that’ll get the job done and then upgrade later.

Any opinions about this WEN lathe from HD? ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-6-Am...4034/306031795

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 03-24-2021, 01:50 AM.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens twenty years later. ~ Mark Twain
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Happy springtime neighbors!

Morning
    It looks like the best one in the price range. It would help giving advice if we knew the end product. It would help to determine if size or power is sufficient. I started out making pens on a little delta LA100 I got from Leo. It was just big enough to get me started, but I grew out of it.
    Darrin

Timber Elegance
    My Etsy Store

Comment

Thanks for the advice darrin. I've since been advised against the WEN so I'm afraid I'll have to avoid that one. Far as requirements go I'm gonna be turning something akin to say a 8" dia by 15" length resin stabilized piece of wood. A log pretty much. My pieces will already be well balanced before turning but still fairly heavy. I've since found a Delta 46-460 at Lowes for $698. I can get the extension and stand on my HD credit and have a 1 HP motor and 42" bed. Quality product?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-21-5-...-Lathe/4743323
      If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens twenty years later. ~ Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
        Thanks for the advice darrin. I've since been advised against the WEN so I'm afraid I'll have to avoid that one. Far as requirements go I'm gonna be turning something akin to say a 8" dia by 15" length resin stabilized piece of wood. A log pretty much. My pieces will already be well balanced before turning but still fairly heavy. I've since found a Delta 46-460 at Lowes for $698. I can get the extension and stand on my HD credit and have a 1 HP motor and 42" bed. Quality product?

Home Depot has the Delta 46-460 for about the same price, I would buy that one long before the WEN, as I know the Delta is best in class.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyheathhays View Post

Excellent choice. I hope you show your work, as I am very curious.
          Darrin

Timber Elegance
          My Etsy Store

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I won't mind sharing after I get some return for developing the idea. Well I eventually gravitated to the Jet 1221VS, but then I discovered these duplicator devices. Since this is exactly what my production process could use I figure I better go ahead and include one in the deal. Problem is this Jet has it's motor underneath whereas most of these duplicator systems require the motor to be behind or to the left.

Any suggestion for a duplicator that will fit the 1221 or a new lathe / dup combo other than the $370 one at Rockler?

Comment

I have the Vega Pro, quite expensive but I think it's superior. The much larger controls allow for smoother movements.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cON-WIkow

They also make a midi, but it may be more than you want to spend.

http://vegawoodworking.com/product/m...he-duplicator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzKazf-vUY

Comment

Thanks Art the Vega looks like a solid machine. I've had another recommendation for the brand so this is encouraging. I was seeing so many complaints I didn't know if a well working model existed. I'll look into the series and what looks interesting.

Comment

Bradley, if you are thinking on gettig the Delta, try to get one with variable speed, it is more easier to work with and you will enjoy it better. For the extension, I have one because it came with it when I bought it but I am not using it very much, because I machine only shorth pieces. But like Leo said Delta is better. Now the ball is in your camp.

Comment

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Delta 46-460. Three belts positions with variable speed but no digital readout. That's ok it's got a 1 HP motor, better than any other midi lathe I've run across so far. Other than the good recommendations, what made me go with the Delta, and this particular model, was that I ran across a youtube vid giving instructions on how to make a simple copy platform/cutter jig for this exact machine. Can not wait til it gets here.

Comment

bradleyheathhays Congratulations. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
                      Darrin

Timber Elegance
                      My Etsy Store

Comment

Good for you Bradley, congratulation on your purchase.

Comment

Working...
                        X