Black Walnut crotch platter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Walnut crotch platter

I always enjoy your posts, very inspiring.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Mark Q View Post
      I always enjoy your posts, very inspiring.
      Thanks for looking and your comment Mark

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Hey, Leo, like everyone else who commented, that's got to be one of the nicest grain patterns I've seen in a while. I would like to know more about the long term effects of the tung oil on such pieces. I've seen similar oiled pieces starting to look "muddy" after a few years. How long have you been using that same oil, and would you care to comment on its long-term appearance?

Great work, as always. Your turnings are so inspirational, Leo. Thanks for sharing it with us.
        All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
        - facebook page
        - YouTube Channel

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc.

My goal is not to be better than anyone else. My goal is to be better than I used to be.

Comment

Marty I have been using the Polymerized Tung Oil for better than 20 years, I always do get it from Lee Valley, I don't know what you would call muddy, but I just picked a plate that I turned in 2002, to make a picture as to show what it looks like today

The nice thing with the PTO is that you can always renew the finish by adding a new coat over it, though I have not done this, also a polish will brighten it up if that is what one likes.

This is marbled Claro Walnut, a piece from gunstock wood slab, it was cut out as there was a fairly large void in it, I got it from a friend that lived across from the Gunstock maker, and he was given that piece, and he gave it too me, (Can you use that ?), I took some carbon black from a laser printer and mixed that in with Epoxy and filled the opening, turned the piece and I have kept this piece, I made a picture from it in my sunroom just now, so the lighting is not the best.

The piece sits here in a wall-unit with a whole collection of different turnings, so in the light and some times gets the Sunlight on it, so yes the colors are bleached out some, and it has changed color as do all woods, but stil looks nice to me, only gets dusted by LOML occasionally.

Looking at these pictures, I notice that the underside still has been less bleached out than the top, standing upright it does get the light but not the direct sun on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Marbled Claro Walnut.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	200.3 KB ID:	1324818

Click image for larger version  Name:	Marbled Claro Walnut plate.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	188.6 KB ID:	1324819
          Thanks for commenting Marty :-))
          Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-03-2021, 10:57 AM.
          mikeddd likes this.

Have fun and take care
          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

That is a beauty Leo. Nothing matches walnut for feather!
            Leo Van Der Loo likes this.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brazeau View Post
              That is a beauty Leo. Nothing matches walnut for feather!
              Thanks Mike , Walnut can be very nice, though I've had some breathtaking Maple and White Ash and other woods, but yes Black Walnut has that special dark color to go with it

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

As always a joy to see your work Leo but love the fact you share lots of knowledge in your post too.

Paul

Comment

Wow, the finish and grain almost make it look metallic. Very deep wonderful colour. I may have to learn to age my wood a little more. I waited 2 months and I got impatient!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Smith View Post
                    As always a joy to see your work Leo but love the fact you share lots of knowledge in your post too.

Paul
                    Thank You Paul

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post
                      Wow, the finish and grain almost make it look metallic. Very deep wonderful colour. I may have to learn to age my wood a little more. I waited 2 months and I got impatient!
                      thanks B.P., Just keep on turning, if you get some wet wood rough turn a couple pieces and set them away in a Brown Paper Bag, then go and turn a couple more, before you know it you will have pieces sitting for a year or longer, then you have to learn how to handle the warped pieces and harder wood ;-)).

It is the always changing challenges that makes turning interesting, plus the beauty of the different pieces of wood, makes it a joy, keep on turning

Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                      X