Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking suggestions for lathe chuck

I need a chuck for my Rikon 70-200 VSR.

I'm a novice turner, my entire output to date on any lathe is 30 or so tool handles, and I have no idea where to start looking. I don't see myself turning much other than handles, pepper mills, and other parts with diameters up to 4" and lengths up to 14".
    I found this one https://www.pennstateind.com/store/C...l?prodpage=1CU, which looks like it would suit my expected needs, but it's not local and is out of stock.

The limit to my budget is $250CAD including taxes (and shipping if not locally available in Winterpeg). I don't need anything high end or fancy, but I don't want to be stuck with junk either.

So... suggestions?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Seeking suggestions for lathe chuck

That chuck looks a lot like this one without the jumbo jaws. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...ref_=pd_gw_unk

I just got one and so far am pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
      That chuck looks a lot like this one without the jumbo jaws. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...ref_=pd_gw_unk
      I just got one and so far am pleased with it.
      I like it, especially the price...

The one thing I should add is that I would like a set of jaws that can close smaller, at least down to 1/2" diameter, if possible... as well as the tenon jaws for larger pieces.

Comment

I would not look any further than a Oneway Talon, made right here in Stratford, Ontario. Has a wide variety of jaws available and if you upgrade to a larger lathe one day, just buy a different taper adapter. They ship with what are called No 2 Jaws with a 1” x 8 Thread per inch insert for general bowl and lathe work. Yesterday, I was using No 1 long jaws which go down to 1/4” to repair an umbrella Christmas Ornament which had fallen and broken at a very narrow cove just under the umbrella. Inside the headstock is a 5” long spindle. I was able to grip a small finial on top of the umbrella enough to drill a 5/16” hole and then turn a short tenon on the long spindle and glue with epoxy. Buying a Oneway Stronghold Chuck 20 years ago got me restarted in turning, 30 years after buying my first lathe and made holding wood so easy. A chuck opens up woodturning to almost endless possibilities. A Talon may come in just around your budget. If a bit more if you amortise the cost to cost per day over the life you will use it, it is nothing. All-in-One-Wood Tools in Oakville usually have a good price on them. In the long run a far better quality product than the Made in China Penn State knock off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A0EB8068-D33C-486C-A7F1-B9880ADFAF54.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1324847 Click image for larger version  Name:	4E771030-DF36-4E03-A5AA-C4671259EB39.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	1324848

Here is the ornament before it broke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C3CFC04-B395-4C69-A87F-189BB7EAF1B0.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	628.2 KB
ID:	1324855

Last edited by Mike Brazeau; 04-03-2021, 03:09 PM.
        Mike

Comment

As Mike said, you won't go wrong with a Talon or virtually anything from Oneway.
          Talon Oneway Scroll Chuck Kits - Lee Valley Tools
          and they have free shipping now for orders over $30. Price for the kit shown is $232 + tax. If you want another set of jaws they will run about another $40 + tax.

I have about 3 Talons and 2 Strongholds so you can see I like the product. You can find cheaper alternatives and TBH they work fine in most cases and your application right now appears to be pretty undemanding - you aren't trying to turn a 12" out-of-balance wet bowl blank but you never know how requirements will change as you get more into it. Oneway products are quality and have a large following by professional turners and will serve you well regardless of your application. Because you can change the spindle thread adapter your chuck won't be obsolete because you've moved to a different lathe.

If your machine has a spindle hole that goes completely through the headstock you can also use a Jacobs chuck with a MT2 mandrel and a drawbar (to hold it in the spindle) for holding small round objects. These parts are available from BusyBee tools and the drawbar is just a length of threaded rod, washer, and nut of the appropriate thread that matches the threaded hole in the mandrel. However, buying the Jacobs chuck, etc will put you into the same price range as a set of jaws.

Here is a link showing the jaws available for Oneway chucks, I don't think LV sells them all but you can order from other vendors including Oneway if LV doesn't sell the one you want.
          Chucks (oneway.ca)

billh
          Last edited by billh; 04-03-2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I do recommend the Talon chuck, best there is, and with free shipping from Lee Valley for $232--, if you ever want to sell it you wil get most of the $$ back and everyone will want to buy it.

The other thing is the Oneway basic chuck, it uses 2 levers to open and close the chuck, it is $199-- and also free shipping from LV, just as high quality as the Talon, but most turners prefer to use the Key operated Talon chuck.

I have half a dozen Oneway chucks, the oldest ones are over 25 years old and still work as the day I got them, I would not go with any of the Far East made chucks, I know I can trust the Oneway chucks to hold like no other and will outlast me even when I have turned a few thousand bowls and also turn vases and spindles, tool handles as well.

I know you will be better off with a quality chuck
            KenL likes this.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks very much for the input and information. Looks like that Talon is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

I'll toss this one out there, since Busy Bee seems to be popular with folks 'round here...
                https://www.busybeetools.com/product...ood-lathe.html

There's no brand name listed for it but when you consider the included extras, it's an attractive price while on sale. Thoughts?

Comment

Have a look at Woodchuckers in Toronto as well. They offer free shipping as well right now.

https://woodchuckers.com/collections...talon-chuck-tn

This is a store mostly dedicated to Turning. They have a large selection of turning tools and supplies. The staff have been very helpful both via phone and in person. I have spoke with Deborah a number of times and she is super nice.

They are also usually cheaper then Lee Valley and other places.. Usually not a lot but every penny helps!

Mike

Comment

Elite Tools out of Quebec show them at $212.85 with free shipping, but they are sold out. I don't know if they could tell you when it will be available, and if price will stay the same. This has been their normal price for some time.
                    It looks like Lee Valley have all of their selection available on line at the price that Leo mentioned which is only $20.00 more than Elite. As much as I am cheap, I would spend the extra $20.00 because I am like a kid with a new toy and wouldn't want to wait.
                    I have the Talon now on a Rikon 70-220VSR. I have a couple of other jaw sets now so I am thinking I will probably buy a Talon body so I don't have to switch jaws around as much.
                    Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

The record chuck seems a lot like the talon for a lower price.
                      https://stockroomsupply.com/collecti...th-3-faceplate

Comment

Many thanks folks!

Comment

The problem with cheap chucks is that you may not be able to get jaws etc or support in a few years. The Record chucks may very well be good chucks they also may be dropped by the supplier if they don't sell well or the maker drops them. The Axminster that Lee Valley had is an example. So the Oneway is a great choice since they have been around a long time. Nova chucks are another option that have been around a long time as are Vicmarc. KMS have the Novas and Branches to Bowls the Vicmarc.
                          https://www.kmstools.com/woodworking...ucks-23110102/
                          https://www.branchestobowls.com/chucks

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post
                            The problem with cheap chucks is that you may not be able to get jaws etc or support in a few years. The Record chucks may very well be good chucks they also may be dropped by the supplier if they don't sell well or the maker drops them. The Axminster that Lee Valley had is an example. So the Oneway is a great choice since they have been around a long time. Nova chucks are another option that have been around a long time as are Vicmarc. KMS have the Novas and Branches to Bowls the Vicmarc.
                            https://www.kmstools.com/woodworking...ucks-23110102/
                            https://www.branchestobowls.com/chucks

Pete
                            The Record doesn’t seem like a cheap chuck. Plus the Nova jaws are interchangeable. This video I think illustrates the quality of them
                            https://youtu.be/ybwZsdhFuDs
                            I for one enjoy Nathan’s videos and have loved dealing with the stockroom. I have our purchased their bandsaw jig, blades and have a lathe on order right now!

Comment

I guess I wasn't clear and left out some info. I was referring to Busy Bee and Amazon etc as cheap. The Record is a decent chuck but they are only just coming into Canada and could disappear like the Axminster ones did, also a good chuck. Then your only recourse for parts, thread inserts for a new lathe or whatever is to buy from England. All stuff to be considered, however if you have decided, enjoy.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X