Buffer for sharpening turning tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffer for sharpening turning tools?

I've tried many grinders in the past and every one I've tried have a side to side lateral wobble to them. I believe it's because of the way the inside flange sits against the arbor. I've tried shims and repositioning the spot on the flange to a good point. The only one that doesn't do this is my Baldor.

I have a nice old Baldor 8" grinder but it's 3600rpm. It's great, zero wobble or any issues. However I find it too fast for sharpening and heats up to quick, I have those white Norton cool grit wheels currently. I'd like to try a CBN wheel.
    I've been looking for a while for a slow speed 1800rpm Baldor 8" grinder used for a decent price, after about 2 years I did come across a Baldor 8" 1800rpm buffer. It has a 3/4" arbor.

Question: Can this not be used for sharpening with the appropriate grinding tool rest like my Wolverine? I notice people take off their guards anyway when using CBN wheels so they can sweep the sides of the wheel for those curved/rounded CBN wheels I've seen.

I've done a search and can't see a single instance where someone put on grinding wheels let alone cbn wheels on their buffer machines. It's easier to come across a buffer than a slow speed grinder on the used market.

woodturnerswonders.com has 3/4" arbor CBN wheels.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob R., Ottawa; 04-10-2021, 09:30 AM.
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/bob_thewoodwork.ca/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Buffer for sharpening turning tools?

As long as you have a toolrest set up you are just using it as a motor . The only thing is the shafts are long so you might be exerting more pressure on the bearings though i only ever use a light touch on grinders. I have never used CBN so I have no experience of how much pressure one uses. In fact i use white ,pink and grey stones on 3600 grinders and never overheat the edge using a light touch . For turning tools I grind freehand often without a rest and have done since I started turning in the 60's
    John Bartley likes this.

Comment

Bob you'll need a wider grinding stand but if you have the room that should not be a problem, you would equally be able to use the Wolverine stand, the only thing I can think about that could be a problem maybe, is because of the long shaft, if there is at all any play in the bearings, it would be more so on the end of the shaft.

CBN wheels would make it a very nice grinder, though unguarded wheels will always be a hazard, that's about the only thing I have against that setup

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
        As long as you have a toolrest set up you are just using it as a motor . The only thing is the shafts are long so you might be exerting more pressure on the bearings though i only ever use a light touch on grinders. I have never used CBN so I have no experience of how much pressure one uses. In fact i use white ,pink and grey stones on 3600 grinders and never overheat the edge using a light touch . For turning tools I grind freehand often without a rest and have done since I started turning in the 60's
        I agree. I also sharpen freehand and I have yet to own a sharpening jig. Although I have no doubt it would make my sharpening look nicer, I am not really sure how much better the actual cutting would be. I sometimes sharpen on my bench grinder (equipped with basic grey stones) and sometimes I just run the knife across the belt/disc sander. I use a rolled up sheet of sandpaper to buff off the burrs inside the gouges ...... I know .... real turners are gritting their teeth and trying to restrain themselves from posting all those nasties they're thinking

Comment

It's been said many many times but HSS doesn't mind being burned. I don't necessarily agree and anyway what's wrong with having some water nearby for cooling?. Oneway has for a long time advocated using 3600rpm grinders for sharpening their tools with their systems. CBN is great and I have 2 and love them. They are not as aggressive and a 600 grit CBN will put an incredible edge on a tool without any pressure at all and do it twice as fast and remove very little metal.

Comment

If you blue HSS don't dunk it in cold water right away. Let it air cool. Or dunk frequently before it gets that hot. If you dunk it in cold water when it is very hot it will form microscopic cracks and wear more quickly. It was developed to stand up to metal cutting while near red hot.

Pete
            billh likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The reason CBN wheels can run unguarded is because they do not have the exploding wheel risk a stone wheel has.
              billh

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                The reason CBN wheels can run unguarded is because they do not have the exploding wheel risk a stone wheel has.
                billh
                Very true but the other reason for a guard is that people have gotten tangled in them. Loose cuffs etc. Same can happen in a buffer but the work they do requires more access to the buffs than a grinder.

If that buffer is a good deal then I would grab it to use as intended. A buffer. The OP could always have a machinist shorten and rethread the shaft if he really wanted.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                  billh
                  True Bill but the wheel will cut when brushing against, piece can fall against etc, so a guard would be better but I can't say he (the OP) should not use it as a grinder, as far as I'm concerned it should work well, besides if it doesn't or he finds a nice grinder later, he can still use it as a buffer

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                  X