Laguna vs Record vs Rikon lathe comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laguna vs Record vs Rikon lathe comparison

I was leaning towards the Laguna 1612 until I watched this video. Can you guess which lathe I just ordered? Lol
    https://youtu.be/kBSVstBRPpg

I posted this video on another forum to get other turners thoughts before i ordered. But the sale is for Canadians so I should post it here.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Laguna vs Record vs Rikon lathe comparison

You already ordered it, so hope you didn't buy a headache with hard to get parts or service, it won't be a Oneway I suppose

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I didn't agree with the emphasis on the digital display and I can't believe those add-on articulated tool-rest arms are a great thing - had one on my CTC lathe which probably was of lesser quality but the concept is poor to start with. Bigger issue than tool rest not locking real tight is how tight does the tailstock hold when you are putting pressure on it by cranking the centre into a workpiece.

Good luck with the new lathe.
      billh

Comment

I'm attracted to the Record for it's swivel headstock. I have a similar facility on my Nova Saturn lathe and find it very useful for boring out bowls etc. I notice that the Oneway line of lathes does not seem to offer this system.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn at Raven View Post
          I'm attracted to the Record for it's swivel headstock. I have a similar facility on my Nova Saturn lathe and find it very useful for boring out bowls etc. I notice that the Oneway line of lathes does not seem to offer this system.
          I'm not sure if any high-end lathes do offer it. The Robust offers a sliding headstock but no rotation same with Powermatic if you want to put them into the high-end category.

billh

Comment

a lot of these newer ones dont seem to have much mass wheras the older ones were very heavy.

maybe its less important on a wood lathe but on a metal lathe you can get some interesting interference patterns when the machine itself breaks into resonance. what happens is the machine has natural resonance frequencies, and so can the work and when the two combine you can get some interesting but unwanted patterns as the vibrations combine in some mysterious ways to produce other frequencies. If it has a super heavy casting like most of the older ones do it helps. The heavier the base, the less vibration. perhaps when you have a hand held chisel you dont get that issue so much.

everything as a natural frequency and it relates to it's weight as well as other factors. most metal lathes are really heavy for good reason.

having the more modern system with an inverter and a knob to control speed might make changing speeds easier but I'd probably prefer a standard motor mount if it came down to choice. that way the whole thing isn't dependent on some proprietary circuit board to work. an older one might need a belt change to change speeds. I think its cheaper to make with the inverter, less metal. The electronics are cheap at the factory level but not always for the consumer later down the line.
            Last edited by stickman; 04-12-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Bill I think you are correct. The "high end" lathes do not have this feature. More the pity. With the addition of an outrigger tool rest you can turn outboard with larger diameters
              With regard to the benefit of a heavier unit to combat vibration, my Saturn senses excessive vibration and will shut down if advisable. The critical level has some adjustment.
              Yes the Saturn has quite a lot of circuitry and one hopes it will exceed the five year warranty , but it makes it a pleasure to operate.
              Speed change with belts is fine but a push button system encourages change for better performance. I can be turning at 1000 rpm, drop tp 200rpm for some sanding and return to 1000rpm very quickly.
              Enough - I begin to look like a salesman!

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post

I'm not sure if any high-end lathes do offer it. The Robust offers a sliding headstock but no rotation same with Powermatic if you want to put them into the high-end category.

billh
                I think the large Vicmark has a swivel head feature? Though I'm not sure if it slides as well.
                The swivel head is really what sold me. I have a shopsmith I use for a lathe right now. I've never liked leaning over the bed to get inside the bowl. My hips don't bend like that anymore lol

Comment

I am certainly no expert in any woodworking and and in particular a very novice turner so this is just a personal observation in the form of a question. If I'm turning something that big, that I need outboard capabilities, should I really be using any of those 3 (or any other midi lathe for that matter) to be turning outboard. As was pointed out above, they are not that robust so I would think something larger, heavier, sturdier should be used when you want to turn something that doesn't fit between the centers or over the bed. My opinion but I am curious what the experts say. I have not tried anything very large on my Craftex midi.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike66 View Post
                    I am certainly no expert in any woodworking and and in particular a very novice turner so this is just a personal observation in the form of a question. If I'm turning something that big, that I need outboard capabilities, should I really be using any of those 3 (or any other midi lathe for that matter) to be turning outboard. As was pointed out above, they are not that robust so I would think something larger, heavier, sturdier should be used when you want to turn something that doesn't fit between the centers or over the bed. My opinion but I am curious what the experts say.
                    I'm with you on this... beginner turner, using a Rikon 70-220VSR.
                    I cannot imagine trying to true up a blank anywhere close to what would no longer fit over the bed...
                    Unless I bolted the lathe to the concrete floor of the shop...

As an aside, many people speak of difficulty turning bowls (hollowing) over the bed due to the awkward position...
                    Would be more comfortable to stand on the opposite side of the lathe (or running the lathe in reverse and cutting on the opposite side of the work)?
                    Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 04-12-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post

I'm with you on this... beginner turner, using a Rikon 70-220VSR.
                      I cannot imagine trying to true up a blank anywhere close to what would no longer fit over the bed...
                      Unless I bolted the lathe to the concrete floor of the shop...

As an aside, many people speak of difficulty turning bowls (hollowing) over the bed due to the awkward position...
                      Would be more comfortable to stand on the opposite side of the lathe (or running the lathe in reverse and cutting on the opposite side of the work)?
                      I think sizing up your blank and cutting it close to round on the bandsaw is important for outboard turning on any size lathe but especially these smaller ones. I found this video of a french Canadian youtuber doing a 24" diameter platter on the Record?!?! Impressive but beyond my comfort level lol
                      https://youtu.be/P4lTG9KBqp8

Comment

Vicmark is a high quality lathe, they make several different sizes, I think they even are making a small lathe that has a swing headstock, never as solid as a one piece headstock.

https://www.branchestobowls.com/vicm...turning-lathes

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

OK there's so many ways to distort information and persuade people to part with the money. Ethan from Stockroom is usually up front and tells it like he sees it. I was pretty certain what the result would be 5 minutes in to the video. So here's some input on the Record from someone who has turned on pretty much every lathe on the market. Keep in mind the Record has a 14" swing and the longest spindle length of the 3 in that comparison video.
                          I was extremely dubious when Ethan asked me to do a video with him about the Record last year. First thought was "they've got to be kidding" but after some initial fumbling and not having any instruction book available we managed to sort out the various operations. That lathe is brilliant! Innovative and at the same time frustrating. It will certainly do anything the average wood turner either novice or expert would want to do. Pitfalls are the tailstock, certainly not the best on the block but it does what it has to do. It locks down firmly and releases easily, but the short quill travel is a pain. Next the legs, if you are anything like me and want to walk around the lathe they are in the way. They can't have castors fitted to allow easy mobility. The other lathes have the ability to add castors and also use the space under the lathe for storage which then adds weight. The Record can only add some sand inside the legs, not good. Sliding headstock is great. Compares with my Powermatic and stayed in perfect alignment as does the Powermatic after 12 years of hard use. The ability to turn the headstock I was a bit dubious about but it is a really nice feature. The quoted capacity for outboard is pure wishful thinking. With a 16" maple blank the motor is not powerful enough and can be stalled easily. It's rated at 1HP at the spindle, 11/4HP at the motor shaft and I believe it, but sorry it's not enough . I found working on the rim at 16" diameter was painfully slow and tedious. The outrigger banjo extension needed to turn outboard is average and comparable with other similar rigs. I didn't notice any vibrations or strange sounds coming from the cutting edges with it being used. I spent about 1 hour with the lathe and Ethan was shooting video which is still on Youtube. I have to agree with the positive things Ethan pointed out and if I'm ever in "downsizing" mode that Record without legs would be at the top of my list.

Comment

I am excited to get my new lathe! Thankyou roundhead for the candid first hand opinion. Makes me feel even better about my choice.
                            I will give everyone an update once I receive it

Comment

I would also add that you are not too far away from the Canadian Distributor Stockroom Supply. I've dealt with then for many years, and have to say I've never had a problem. It's a family business with some very smart owners who go out of their way to bring new products into Canada. They were the original Rikon Distributors, and now with Record have taken on a new partnership which they are really committed to. I'm pretty sure you will get good service and if parts are ever needed I'm sure they will get them ASAP. I have no ties or affiliations with Ethan or Kate other than being a long standing satisfied customer.

Comment

Working...
                              X