Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1 Taper Drill Chuck for an ol' Beaver

Hey folks...

Daughter and I have been turning up a storm between other projects. The Beaver Lathe I bought on recommendation here from Leo has sprouted a bunch of new (used) tools!

I finally landed another Beaver Lathe and swapped the tailstock. I now how a M1 taper. Mackenzie my daughter got a Live Centre for Christmas that we can finally use. I would like to add a chuck to the mix for quicker hollowing out of vessels.

Is there an M1 Taper drill chuck that you guys would recommend? Everything is online now for us or I would go put my hands on one at Busy Bee. I see some on Amazon as well. Whats an affordable one you would recommend?

On the same front, what about Forstner Bits?

I posted these pics on the Power Tool forum. I am looking for a bandsaw. But thought I would share here as well..

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-12 13.34.34.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	1326201 Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-03 14.15.29.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	1326202

I would love to id the wood in the little vase thing. Thoughts? I will post some pics of the bark and side grain sometime soon.

Much thanks!

Mike
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: M1 Taper Drill Chuck for an ol' Beaver

I have a few drill chucks, usa made jacobs, you could can get the arbor from many places. kbc, busybee and others. Let me know if you are interested and what size chuck you are looking for.
    Steve The Drill Sergeant
    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Thanks Steve!

Would something like this be the right M1 adapter?
      https://www.busybeetools.com/product...r-jt6-mt1.html

It's an M1 taper on the tailstock. In reading about the Chuck's they are Jt# I have now learned. JT6 seems to be more common.

I am over Ajax way most work days although off this week. Might head that way though to help on a Reno project later this week.

Mike

Originally posted by schor View Post
      I have a few drill chucks, usa made jacobs, you could can get the arbor from many places. kbc, busybee and others. Let me know if you are interested and what size chuck you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post
        Hey folks...

Daughter and I have been turning up a storm between other projects. The Beaver Lathe I bought on recommendation here from Leo has sprouted a bunch of new (used) tools!

I finally landed another Beaver Lathe and swapped the tailstock. I now how a M1 taper. Mackenzie my daughter got a Live Centre for Christmas that we can finally use. I would like to add a chuck to the mix for quicker hollowing out of vessels.

Is there an M1 Taper drill chuck that you guys would recommend? Everything is online now for us or I would go put my hands on one at Busy Bee. I see some on Amazon as well. Whats an affordable one you would recommend?

On the same front, what about Forstner Bits?

I posted these pics on the Power Tool forum. I am looking for a bandsaw. But thought I would share here as well..

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-12 13.34.34.jpg Views:	24 Size:	264.1 KB ID:	1326201 Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-04-03 14.15.29.jpg Views:	24 Size:	482.4 KB ID:	1326202

I would love to id the wood in the little vase thing. Thoughts? I will post some pics of the bark and side grain sometime soon.

Much thanks!

Mike
        Nice work you guys, I do think the vase is Hickory wood

Steve has some for you, a Quality Jacobs chuck would be nice, pretty expensive when new but you will never be sorry for getting Quality.

Saw you asked about the Forstner bits after I already sent my answer, I got a HSS set from Busy Bee several years ago, it was on sale at that time, they are quite good quality, keep your speed down when using the bits and sharpen them if they seem dull.

Oh when drilling into wet or not fully dry wood, don't go in far or your bit will be stuck DAMHIKT

As for the MT and JT, the long taper outside the chuck is the MT, No 0 1 2 3 4 5 the short taper that goes into the chuck is the JT, it normally tells that on the chuck, #33 is a common one
        Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-12-2021, 05:35 PM.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post
          Thanks Steve!

Would something like this be the right M1 adapter?
          https://www.busybeetools.com/product...r-jt6-mt1.html

It's an M1 taper on the tailstock. In reading about the Chuck's they are Jt# I have now learned. JT6 seems to be more common.

I am over Ajax way most work days although off this week. Might head that way though to help on a Reno project later this week.

Mike

I have to dig the drill chucks out of storage, so let me see if I can get there this week sometime to find them. Any idea of the size you are looking for?
          Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

As for the MT and JT, the long taper outside the chuck is the MT, No 0 1 2 3 4 5 the short taper that goes into the chuck is the JT, it normally tells that on the chuck, #33 is a common one
            I agree Leo, an mt1 arbor shouldn't be holding anything huge so jt33 is most likely the size.
            Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

Hey Steve,

If it's a trip to storage just for us don't sweat it. I can get a cheap one to get us started.

Regarding size... I am not sure on options. From what you and Leo say I should keep it small. After I post this I will do some reading (while watching ghost Busters with the kids). As mentioned it's into an mt1 on the beaver tailstock. Plan is to grab a Forster bit set. Maybe on the large size 2" which looks like a 1/2" shank is standard.

lots of learning!

Thanks Everyone.

Mike

Originally posted by schor View Post

I have to dig the drill chucks out of storage, so let me see if I can get there this week sometime to find them. Any idea of the size you are looking for?

Comment

Unrelated but I continue to play with the finish on the vase thing. It's my first time using anything but bees wax or mineral oil. For this I used salad bowl finish with a little black paint for the first coat. Sanded it out and added a second coat of salad bowl. I did not think it had enough luster so I put some poly on that. Probably breaking some rules but I like the look so far. The black really makes the grain of the wood pip out. ‚Äč

Comment

I picked up a drill chuck & MT1 from United Tool in Edmonton. Somewhat better quality, very happy with it.

Comment

I did quite a bit of looking earlier this week for a new member of our guild that I am helping get started. Lee Valley list one but are out of stock expecting at the end of April. Amazon had one but was shipping from China. I could not find a J adapter at Busy Bee for their chuck. Lee Valley have excellent Forster bits, pricey but good.
                    Mike

Comment

For $50, this one looks like a decent chuck. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...ref_=pd_gw_unk
                      With an MT1 taper you are not going to hold anything very big, so the the 1/2" chuck capacity is adequate.

Leo Van Der Loo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
                        For $50, this one looks like a decent chuck. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...ref_=pd_gw_unk
                        With an MT1 taper you are not going to hold anything very big, so the the 1/2" chuck capacity is adequate.

Without double checking, I think that one ships from China. The Lee Valley one at the same price nominally at least originates shipping locally after they get their stock in from where ever.
                        Mike

Comment

That may be. When I looked this morning it looked like it was availability in a few days with Amazon prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have these 2 Jacobs chucks.

The 2b has an mt2 arbor on it I can try to remove it or I'll give it to you as is as I don't even have a vise or anything to work on it. It has a 3/8 capacity and a 3/8-24 thread, no jt taper.

The 6b has 1/2 capacity and a 1/2-20 thread.

I did a quick search and the arbors are available online.

$25 for either.
                            Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

Wow those are real nice American made Jacobs chucks, I'd get the 1/2" one, Amazon has the arbor for $10-- , best deal I seen in a while , thinking about it I would get both if I needed them !

Have fun and take care
                              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                              X