Bought my first Carbide Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my first Carbide Tools

a few weeks ago i ordered small carbide tools for making rings. the only small tools i had were ancient set miniature marples chisels. nice tools, but just kiss the mandrel or ring core with the tool and it's back to the grinder!
    so i got a set from ring supplies in ottawa, very nice small tools

i was hooked!! and decided get full sized tools from Killian with a variety of cutters

carbide to me is a game changer for final shaping and finish cuts, i still like my big gouges for roughing and shaping though
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bought my first Carbide Tools

I am pretty much the opposite - I use carbide for my roughing then my standard chisels for finishing.

Nathan

Comment

Been pondering getting some carbides to play with. Daughter and I are more less self taught in the last few months by watching YouTube. We bought some Glen Lucas tools to get us started. The carbides seem like they would be great for hollowing forms as well.

Any affordable carbides someone would recommend? Last time I was at woodchuckers they only had a Rikon set in that was a little more then I wanted to spend buy I may have to get off my wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post
        Been pondering getting some carbides to play with. Daughter and I are more less self taught in the last few months by watching YouTube. We bought some Glen Lucas tools to get us started. The carbides seem like they would be great for hollowing forms as well.

Any affordable carbides someone would recommend? Last time I was at woodchuckers they only had a Rikon set in that was a little more then I wanted to spend buy I may have to get off my wallet.
        check out killian tools, that's what mine are. you have to make handles, no big deal

The Tools | kilian-tools

i got the two larger ones and a variety of cutters

if you go to rob summerlin's page, there is a 10% discount code

Woodslee Summercraft – Woodturning and Product in Ontario
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I trust everything Killian sells.
          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
            I trust everything Killian sells.
            yeah, seems like nice stuff, good sized solid bar, good attachment for the cutter
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I have not heard of Killian before but fairly local for me.

Not sure I am ready to get off my wallet but I like the idea of trying carbide. The Rikon set I mentioned at Woodchuckers is $229.
              https://woodchuckers.com/collections...nsert-cutters3

Killians looks pretty similarly priced but a little more flexible as to what to order.

Maybe one day!

Comment

Is this set from Lee Valley any good? No name on them but the price seems right. No familiar with any carbide but I am intrigued.

Mike

Set of Three Carbide-Tipped Turning Tools - Lee Valley Tools

Comment

The LV set of three is for smaller work their description says - about 11" long.
                  billh

Comment

the lee vallet set looks to be about the size of set i got from ringsupplies for rings and pens
                    the killians that i got are full sized tools with big cutters

you have to make your own handles with the killians so you need to be able to drill 5/8 holes about 4 inches deep(!!RC)
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02694.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	1328921 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02700.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1328922 I recently had a bowl that was turned from the bottom of a crotch. The crotch had collected road grit and the maple keys had grown in it and then the bark covered them in layers. So my gouges hit the grit and the edges were destroyed in seconds. So I looked at getting some carbide and ended up buying the Rikon st. Very impressed with the design and finish on the 3 tools and the quick lockk handle is relly nice. Unfortunately carbide scrapers are just scrapers and the grit in the wood destroyed the edges almost as fast as I could sharpen them on the 600 grit CBN. As a scraper they work pretty much the same as any other scraper and produce an inferior finish when compared to a cut from a gouge. BUT the tools will accept the Hunter style cup carbide cutters and so I will see how they work as a freehand gouge. They are good in my Rolly Munro hollowing tool and produce nice curlies and a good finish so I think using them like a gouge and rubbing the bevel will produce a good surface.
                      Here's the maple bowl and you can see how the keys sprouted in the grit and died and became part of the bark. Also here's the Rikon carbide tools.

Comment

Originally posted by bedpan View Post

I would not bother Mike, they are just scrapers that don't dull as fast as HSS, but they still do, you can rotate the diamond once and can partially rotate the round ones a few times, and then have to throw them out unless you have some diamond to sharpen them a bit.

Actually HSS can be sharpened more or sharper than carbide, as carbide is brittle and a thin edge will break easily, so they do have a steep edge rather than an acute edge, anyway I have used used enough carbide when working metal to know that they sure can do a fast cut on metal, but wood is not metal and does not make a nice finish when shearing (scraping) it like metal, just what I know about it .

And sorry for getting this late on this, as we just got back from Ottawa early this morning I have not caught up yet

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I have a couple of carbides (scrapers) and just consider them part of the arsenal of tools, you know the odd one that may just get you out of a particular problem. They definitely are not my "go to" tools especially for regular bowl work.
                          I was told by a knowledgeable machinist, an excellent turner, who tried regular metal carbides for wood turning that they do not work, likely having something to do with the grain size. The woodturning ones apparently have very small grains. Vague but that's all I can say about it.
                          Yes they are most carbide turning tools sold are scrapers but Hunter tools sell carbide tools that are designed for shear cutting. I have not used any but there are some proficient turners that do. If I were to make a move into carbides I would be looking at Hunter as the first place to consider not carbide scrapers.
                          Here is a Youtube of John Lucas using a regular Hunter. Hunter carbide turning tool - YouTube
                          Other comments I've seen is that they are not really a magic answer, to do a good job with them requires practice, practice - you get the idea.
                          billh

Comment

Bill as I said in my post I have used the Hunter Cup carbide installed in my Rolly Munro hollower and it performs pretty much as John Lucas shows in that video. I do however think I would be getting a better finish cut with a sharp gouge, but all things considered for a new turner who doesn't want to invest heavily in sharpening kit and only occasionally turns I think these cup cutters are a good tool. Rapid wood removal is very easy because you can just push and pull without worrying about tool angles and tear out problems, bu to finish the grain rules must be adhered to and it does require a learning curve.

Comment

Working...
                            X