First Turn on New lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Turn on New lathe.

Ive been turning all my life, Metal that is.
    Quite a learning curve to do it with hand held tools that can grab like a SOAB. Ask me how I know. Still struggling with the bowl gouge, I think its not sharpened properly. Muddled my way thru this bowl, not finished yet and but I had the best luck with a tool I made myself a Carbide round nose scraper sharpened on a diamond wheel. Tried repairing a few cracks with Super Glue.
    Mahogany.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	1348633 Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl3.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	1348635 Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	1348636 Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	1348634
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: First Turn on New lathe.

Helluva lot better/nicer than my first wood turnings, well done!
    Walnut?

Edit: I'll bite and ask how you know, though I expect I know the answer. Is it anything similar to "was trying to... with what I now know to be the wrong tool, managed to pry the part from between the centres, had it bounce off the back of the bench, then off the lumber rack overhead, only to change direction again and run the frame of my safety glasses into my face, resulting in a gash that required a 5 hour wait at the ER"? I hope not...
    Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 11-23-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
      Helluva lot better/nicer than my first wood turnings, well done!
      Walnut?

Edit: I'll bite and ask how you know, though I expect I know the answer. Is it anything similar to "was trying to... with what I now know to be the wrong tool, managed to pry the part from between the centres, had it bounce off the back of the bench, then off the lumber rack overhead, only to change direction again and run the frame of my safety glasses into my face, resulting in a gash that required a 5 hour wait at the ER"? I hope not...
      Thanks, no injuries or missiles just some scary tool grabs with some large chunks of wood flying.
      Mahogany.
      And a couple of Skid Marks.
      Last edited by redlee; 11-23-2021, 07:37 PM.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	1348641 Click image for larger version

Name:	tool1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	1348642
        The tool I made up.
        schor likes this.

Comment

How'd you make that? Or rather... what were the source parts/items you used to make that?

Best luck I've had with homemade turning tools is grinding a profile in piece of W2 drill rod and hardening it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
            How'd you make that? Or rather... what were the source parts/items you used to make that?

Best luck I've had with homemade turning tools is grinding a profile in piece of W2 drill rod and hardening it.
            Just a 1/2 square shank Brazed on Carbide Lathe tool , turned the square shank round and drilled and reamed a piece of bar stock drilled and tapped for set screws and put a handle on it.
            I ground the profile on a diamond wheel.

​​​​​​https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02098093
            Tool is just like this but 1/2 shank.
            Last edited by redlee; 11-23-2021, 07:52 PM.
            ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

Which just go to show there is no right or wrong way, so long as you get the job done.
              There are hundreds of hours wasted around the world discussing what angle is the best for a bowl gouge to be sharpened at and probably thousands of dollars wasted on buying the right gouge, I think I have about 10 of them what a waste.
              Paul Smith likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                Which just go to show there is no right or wrong way, so long as you get the job done.
                There are hundreds of hours wasted around the world discussing what angle is the best for a bowl gouge to be sharpened at and probably thousands of dollars wasted on buying the right gouge, I think I have about 10 of them what a waste.
                So what do you use and prefer ?

Comment

HEHEHE , I know where you are coming from Richard, I was going to turn a salad bowl for one of my sisters, I knew how to turn meta, so ...... how hard could it be to turn some wood , well I'll say yours is a heck of a lot better than my first bowl, that Red Cedar suer did not get a nice surface with that scraper I fashioned from a big file , never showed it and it got burned right away in the forge fire .

You also didn't make the easiest of forms, a typical dog bowl as we "accomplished turners " will call that and just about every new turner does end up with one of these when they start turning wood, mine would have ended up like that also IF it had been acceptable.

Shape of your bowl gouge sharpening will make a big difference in how well and easily or hard it will be to turn the wood.

Direction also plays a role.

Click image for larger version  Name:	direction of cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	1348661 Click image for larger version  Name:	Cutting direction and sequance.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.1 KB ID:	1348662
                  Maybe you should get some green wood, like some birch or other hardwood, easier to learn turning on that, and change the shape you turn to more like a half circle.

This is a good bowl gouge and this picture shows how I hold it, also it shows what part of the tool does the cutting, like from he center of the flute down, where the center part cuts fine and the lower part removes most of the wood. Flute facing in and tool up.

Name:	bowl gouge cutting.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1348668
                  Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-23-2021, 11:52 PM.

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I am not a bowl turner, Isn't your made up tool a scraper rather than a slicer? Did you hollow the entire bowl with that?

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post

So what do you use and prefer ?
                      The pictures show the gouges that I use all the time, the chisels that have the cup on the end I use very rarely there is a way to use them and only one way, the big scraper in the center of the first picture is a negative rake that means that it is beveled on both sides it has to be used at dead center I only use it on the inside of a bowl for very fine cuts at high speed it is a tool I have to resort to because my finishing cuts often leave lines (I'm still learning) it is not the perfect answer as it often rips the grain it has to be sharpened for every cut.
                      I use those gouges all the time and as Leo points out you have to follow the grain, the main point in using a gouge is that you have to be rubbing the bevel against the wood in that position the sharp edge it doing the cutting and you cannot have a catch, if you are not rubbing the bevel against the wood you are more than likely scraping the wood and not cutting it, you get shavings when you cut the wood and you get dust when you scrape it, but then I have just been turning a big old piece that is very dry and I had a pile if dust on the floor.
                      The bevel on a gouge should be one straight grind and not faceted, I often start by putting the heal of the bevel against the wood then bring up the handle till the sharp tip touches it is at this point that the sharp edge is at its best, if as you move across the wood you develop a gap at the heal you are starting to scrape the wood and you loose the benefit of the sharp tool.
                      The flute of the gouge can be used either open (facing up) or anywhere on its side to closed (facing left or right) when you roll the gouge over you are then getting a shearing type cut which can give a very clean finish.
                      There is no doubt that that a lot of others will have a lot to say on all of this, there is only one way that is for sure Practice, practice and more practice every piece of wood is different so you have to learn how to deal with that piece your first cuts will tell you then by the time you get to the last cuts you should have worked out how to deal with that piece of wood.
                      Have fun but be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                        I am not a bowl turner, Isn't your made up tool a scraper rather than a slicer? Did you hollow the entire bowl with that?
                        Yes it is but on this wood it worked well, and yes I drilled a big hole first.

Comment

Richard -- Have you looked at any of Bob Hamilton's stuff on YouTube??

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                            Richard -- Have you looked at any of Bob Hamilton's stuff on YouTube??
                            Ive seen a bunch , I will check him out thanks.

Comment

Richard the videos are to be found on this forum, you might already know, but just in case, you find them here.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-aa/turning-aa

Have fun and take care
                              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                              X