Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s that thing called….?

Good evening everyone.

I’m trying to google a turning accessory; however, it’s really hard to find something when you don’t know what it’s called. lol.

What I’m looking for is like a turning tool but with no handle and a grind on both ends. One end is Ellsworth or Irish grind and the other spindle gouge shaped. It’s used to set up your grinding angles…etc so you don’t drift as much when grinding repeatedly over time.

I’m sure one of you knows what I’m talimg about.
    thanks in advance.

Neil

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: What’s that thing called….?

Have a look around here till you find it https://www.timberlywoodturning.co.n...ut-Sharpening-

Comment

Never seen or heard about such an animal, and especially with the different tool shape on it, as a spindle gouge has a lower profile steel than a bowl gouge.

Besides that what angles would there be on, tool angles change by wood type and turner, all are different.

Good luck finding your steel and let us know if/when you find one

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

This what you're after?

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...Resolver-Gouge

Requires a separate handle.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...k&term=hosaluk
        Last edited by Art in Prince George; 11-29-2021, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Art in Prince George View Post
          This is what I was thinking of as well. Oneway tools offer them too.
          Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

I don't think it is used to setup the angles; it is an actual turning tool with the different types of grinds at each end for different tasks. I don't think the other end is a spindle gouge but a bowl gouge with a conventional, rather than irish/fingernail shape.
            Maybe they are a good deal financially but I have a couple of handles that take interchangeable tools and frankly found them to be a slight annoyance and now I have a handle for each tool so I don't have to fool around with them. Made most of my handles including the ones that allow changing. In one of the link it says Mike Mahoney uses it without a handle for cleanups.
            If you want to save steel, get a Wolverine and Vari-grind jig setup from LV, Oneway, ...
            billh

Comment

Yes that's a whole different thing, a double ended turning tool, and it could have 2 different shaped ends ground on it, though still not a spindle gouge end.

I made a couple steel handles with 2 different size openings in them, so I could have 2 different tools in it (drilled right through) I did try it a couple times, but it never happens anymore, now each has just one tool in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Home made tool handles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	1349171
              Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-29-2021, 01:09 PM.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
                The one I saw was much shorter and I swear it was for sharpening set up, but been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Im sure there are other options to help with set up. I do have the vari-grind and a 180 g CBN.
                however I do get drift over time with my main gouges and always have a hard time keeping the shape.

I picked up a 600 grit CBN in the summer to help but looking for some set up guides.

has anyone used these? see below After watching the video on you tube, this is essentially the the same as the piece of plywood I use to set the distance to the wheel.

how do others avoid drift in their gouges?

Gouge Setup Blocks by Ron Brown's Best. Quick, Easy, Repeatable settings for sharpening bowl and spindle gouges with all popular wood lathe tool sharpening systems.
                by Ron Brown's Best, LLC
                Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DR3X1TH/...3TQ9N?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1

Neil

Comment

I did put a link up for you on the 29th
                  Here it is again https://www.timberlywoodturning.co.n...Accessory-Kit-
                  We have a set at the club but no one seems to use them.
                  I have all the settings for each gouge written on the gouge handle, there is the distance the gouge protrudes from the jig, the distance the bar that is fixed to the bench is set at and the angle the jig itself is set to.
                  Of course you still have to be careful as you can change the shape and get the wings at different lengths all the jig does is control the angle.
                  I have seen a number of written instructions but not until I bought the latest jig did I get instructions that made sense to me.
                  I see on this link there is a number of short videos on how to set up for sharpening https://www.timberlywoodturning.co.n...stem--Special-

Comment

Originally posted by haystackkid View Post
                    Thanks for the responses.
                    The one I saw was much shorter and I swear it was for sharpening set up, but been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Im sure there are other options to help with set up. I do have the vari-grind and a 180 g CBN.
                    however I do get drift over time with my main gouges and always have a hard time keeping the shape.

I picked up a 600 grit CBN in the summer to help but looking for some set up guides.

has anyone used these? see below After watching the video on you tube, this is essentially the the same as the piece of plywood I use to set the distance to the wheel.

how do others avoid drift in their gouges?

Gouge Setup Blocks by Ron Brown's Best. Quick, Easy, Repeatable settings for sharpening bowl and spindle gouges with all popular wood lathe tool sharpening systems.
                    by Ron Brown's Best, LLC
                    Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DR3X1TH/...3TQ9N?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1

Neil
                    Neil as you have the CBN wheels, (they do not chance size) you could pull out the V-arm, sand it a bit and spray paint it white, when dry find the setting for the gouge and mark it on the arm, that way you will have the exact same angle every time you place it there, for other gouges make other markings on the opposite side or higher/lower on the arm.

Now just don't grind too much steel off of your tools, as that will give you changes that no jig or block or other contraption can eliminate, I'm not too fussy about small changes, just keep my tool sharp is the most important for me

Of course blackening the bevel and checking before you sharpen is another way that keeps the bevel angle identical, even if the wheels get smaller or the tool shorter.

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I think this is similar to what you are talking about. The easiest way to set up a grinding jig like the Oneway Wolverine/Varigrind is to have a tool already ground to what you want and adjust the jig to the tool. https://www.packardwoodworks.com/sharp-sgj.html I believe I have seen a double ended one but do not recall who had it. You can make one with some cold rolled steel and manually grind to shape and then use.
                      Mike

Comment

Are these what you are looking for: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ool-Combo-Pack? Same idea as the tool Mike linked to, but double ended pack of 6. Made by Henry Taylor, apparently they are called "Profile-Pro Setup Tools". Their generic name make them hard to find even when you know what they are called.

Adam
                        www.adamcottrill.ca

Comment

Link above from Adam is interesting but all I use is a block set about 2" back from the edge of my grinding platform to set a consistent tip exposure for my Vari-grind and if I want to change or measure an angle I use a gauge similar to this one:

If I'm happy with the existing tool angle I just rest it on the wheel and make any adjustments and this is easily done with the Wolverine for a conventional grind. I may grind a second bevel under the cutting bevel to provide relief so the bottom of the tool doesn't touch the bowl on some cuts. The tool rubs on the main cutting bevel, not the relief bevel.
                          A light touch is all that is required but you should never live in fear of grinding the steel unless you are over-doing it. A tool will last a long time with a light touch but it will shrink - it is a consumable.
                          billh

Comment

Unsure of what item your link was to. From your description it may be called a big or big red ugly. There is o youtube about it. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

Neil as you have the CBN wheels, (they do not chance size) you could pull out the V-arm, sand it a bit and spray paint it white, when dry find the setting for the gouge and mark it on the arm, that way you will have the exact same angle every time you place it there, for other gouges make other markings on the opposite side or higher/lower on the arm.

Now just don't grind too much steel off of your tools, as that will give you changes that no jig or block or other contraption can eliminate, I'm not too fussy about small changes, just keep my tool sharp is the most important for me

Of course blackening the bevel and checking before you sharpen is another way that keeps the bevel angle identical, even if the wheels get smaller or the tool shorter.
                              Wouldn't that line need to be moved as the tool got shorter over time? I suppose it would work if using the vari-grind jig, but not for tools that have the handle resting in the V notch.
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X