Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delta 46-700 Variable speed Lathe Value??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 46-700 Variable speed Lathe Value??

Local kijiji has a Delta 46-70 lathe for sale with a 5 piece set of Shopsmith turning tools and a few other accessories. What is a reasonable price and is this model any good? I understand they are very noisy.

T.J.

Re: Delta 46-700 Variable speed Lathe Value??

Originally posted by Tee Jay View Post
    Local kijiji has a Delta 46-70 lathe for sale with a 5 piece set of Shopsmith turning tools and a few other accessories. What is a reasonable price and is this model any good? I understand they are very noisy.

T.J.
    I would not touch that lathe, the reeves drive is junk, unless you like fixing junky chines stuff and try to live with a noisy cheaply made lathe than nobody wants,I'd get something else, there are all kinds of these lathes on the Kijiji site and stay there forever, oh they come in all colors and with all kinds of nameplates on them.

Reasonable price, I would suggest pounds X scrap-iron price
    sigpic
    Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks for the input. I heard the reeves was very noisey and was doubting it was the lathe for me. He was asking $300 so I guess I will pass on that one.

Thanks again.

T.J.

Comment

I sold mine for $50. Of course, the reeves drive was shot again at the time. I learned to turn on that lathe and had if for about 12 years. I had to re-build the reeves drive mechanism about every three years. There were actually quite a few features I did like about the lathe, but the poor design of the reeves drive system outweighed them all.

Take care
        Bob

Comment

Working...
        X