Dogwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogwood

Hi All, Hope Everyone had a Nice Christmas. We certainly did.
    Took a friend, who has just gotten on the Slippery Slope, to Lee Valley for Him to P/U a few Goodies. While there we saw some Dogwood turning Blanks, ( about 2 x 2 x 18", on sale @ a $1.00 each.) so we bought a few. What is this wood like, Nice Grain, Plain, Hard, Soft? Never Used it before, so would love your comments on it.
    Thanks & Take Care
    George
    Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dogwood

I turned some LV dogwood but it was some time ago. From what I remember the grain is quite plain but the colour can be nice and it is very dry and hard. Makes good tool handles.

billh

Comment

Most of my gouges that I have bought unhandled sport dogwood handles made from the Lee Valley shuttle blanks. It is a very pleasant wood to turn.

Take care
      Bob

Comment

Nice to hear this........ see George; you are teaching me now.. LOL
        Brian; Caledonia On.

http://lumberjocks.com/toyguy/projects/page/1

Comment

I like dogwood; it's easy to turn and has a nice pinkish color.
          Frank

Comment

"has a nice pinkish color."
            Interesting, when I cut a piece of it off our tree outside and turned it, the colour was very white. I am in Saskatoon.

Comment

From what i remember of my wood technology course. dogwood was such a smooth and hard wood that it was once a prefereed wood for wooden bearings. Most references to dogweood as a woodworking species probably refer to the Flowering Dogwood which has a native range that doesn't go much further north than southern Minnesota. What species are you finding in Saskatoon?

Comment

Hi George,

The others are spot-on. Dogwood is a bit harder than eastern maple and has a pink tinge to it. However, older Pacific Dogwood gets beaultiful colours. Have a look HERE. If you want to see more, you can search my blog for "dogwood".
                Chris Wong
                http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

Couldn't tell you other than the tree is has red bark

Comment

Thanks for the comments Guys. We just rough turned a pce last night,and it is hard, but not difficult to turn. Nice Colour and Some grain. Pleased at how smooth it was with just the Roughing Gouge. Bob, First thing I said, was this would make a nice handle. Brian, Teaching You, Ahh NO, doubt it. But it is nice to be able to pass on my limited knowledge to a friend. The only Dogwood around here is a Shrub. Branches rarely ever exceed 1/2" or so, but beautiful red bark.
                    Thanks again for All Your Comments
                    George
                    Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission

Comment

Originally posted by george in winnipeg View Post
                      Hi All, Hope Everyone had a Nice Christmas. We certainly did.
                      Took a friend, who has just gotten on the Slippery Slope, to Lee Valley for Him to P/U a few Goodies. While there we saw some Dogwood turning Blanks, ( about 2 x 2 x 18", on sale @ a $1.00 each.) so we bought a few. What is this wood like, Nice Grain, Plain, Hard, Soft? Never Used it before, so would love your comments on it.
                      Thanks & Take Care
                      George
                      Hi George
                      I have turned the Lee Valley dogwood and also some native Dogwood.
                      IIRC the Lee Valley Dogwood came from France (European Dogwood) as these were destined to become shuttles for weaving machines, but it isn't used for that anymore, Dogwood and Myrtle wood were used almost exclusively for weaving shuttles as it is very resistant to impact (also why it is/was used for wood chisel handles for instance) that kind of Dogwood doesn't grow here in Canada.
                      As it is very close grained it turned just nicely but has not really any interesting grain or even color, (the European Dogwood) N.American has often a reddish tinge to it.
                      There are quite a few different Dogwoods, mostly shrubs up here, some has bright red bark and is used for landscaping.
                      I don't know if bunchberry grows around your area, but it is also Dogwood and the only one that isn't a woody plant.
                      I have a picture here of a Birdhouse with a Dogwood roof, it is quite nice wood and smelled like Celery when I was turning it, I don't recall the exact name of the top off the top of my head, but it is/was a larger shrub with branches 10 feet tall and maybe 2 inches thick, the wood peckers (sapsucker) did a good job on it and we removed some of the stalks as they were dying.
                      A rather long winded reply, but it gives you some info if you are interested init at all.

Birdhouse with Dogwood roof
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	866040

This is the flower and leafs of the Dogwood the Birdhouse roof was turned from.

Name:	red-osier-dogwood-flower.jpg
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	866041

Red Dogwood twig.

Name:	800px-Cornus_sericea_twig.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	866042

Bunchberries flower and berries.

Name:	Bunch berry flowers..jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	866043 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunchberries.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	866044

Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I see the larger Flowering Dogwoods in the Otter and Catfish Creek valleys but they are seldom of a diameter of more than 8 inches. They are the same tree as you will see growing in the southern states "Carolinian Forests". Beautiful trees with a white leaf at the point where the true flower is. The white appears to be the flower but it is not. Bark is a little like that of a pear. I doubt I could bring myself to harvest one since they are not common but if one should be taken out for what ever reason such as agriculture or storm victim then I'd love to turn a turkey call from it. The dogwood is nearly always present in any paintings of turkey scenes.
                        Here are a couple of pics of the flowering type. This one is bigger than you can get your hands around and likely 20ft tall and bushier than usual. I've spend many a spring time morning near it while trying to coax a gobbler to dinner lol. Note that like a Poinsettia the coloured leaves appear to be a flower but the flower is in the center.

Last edited by Aylmer Tom; 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM. Reason: add pictures

Comment

As I recall, the blanks that Lee Valley sells were discovered sitting in a warehouse where they had been stored for several decades. They bought them all and I thought I saw a notice that the supply was running out, so they may be putting the last few out on a sale table.

Take care
                          Bob

Comment

It is a beautiful wood that has many uses. One being piano keys at one time ( if that is any indication on how hard it is) They are protected here in BC but once in awhile ya find one that has to be brought down due to leaf blotch fungus. That is how I got my hands on some I found it easy to work with and I would love to get more. I have a tree in my back yard and i would love to get some of that wood. Maybe one day it will fall over.

Comment

Working...
                            X