Oval skew sharpening jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oval skew sharpening jig

I've always had a hard time preventing my oval skews from rocking on the rest of my grinder. I tried getting around it by rigging up something like the wolverine jig, but then I found I was removing too much material from one side or the other. This is what I came up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 253 - 400px.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	938328

This has two flat parallel surfaces that rest on the grinder tool rest, and a pin that I can pivot around to put a radius on the edge. When set against the back of the tool rest, the pin also limits the depth of cut equidistant for both sides of the edge, so I don't end up with one bevel being much longer than the other.

I posted about this on my blog at http://www.makingsplinters.com/2011/...eating-facets/ where you can find some higher resolution pictures and exploded drawings.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Oval skew sharpening jig

Looks interesting enough but for me I just took the original grind and then went to a stone and sharpen by hand. As long as you don't loose the original shape it works great and is real quick.
    Darren in Oshawa

Comment

. I don't have a oval skew but like your neat solution to achieve a consistent grind .
      "Control, control , you must learn control ". Yoda

Comment

I have a couple of oval skews and don't like them, the rocking you get sharpening you also get when turning with it, however your jig certainly will do a nice job sharpening it, and it also could be used for a regular skew where you like to get a curved bevel on, thanks for posting a good usable idea

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
        X