First ever Captive rings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever Captive rings

Tonights challenge for one of the turners meetings I attend was to do captive rings.

So a few days ago I made this goblet out of some green apple that I scored the other day.

If you look close you can see that the wood moved a fair bit as it dried out but none the less I like the piece.

stands 8 1/2"h x 3 1/2" at it's widest.
    Attached Files

Re: First ever Captive rings

Originally posted by John-in-Abbotsford View Post
    Tonights challenge for one of the turners meetings I attend was to do captive rings.

So a few days ago I made this goblet out of some green apple that I scored the other day.

If you look close you can see that the wood moved a fair bit as it dried out but none the less I like the piece.

stands 8 1/2"h x 3 1/2" at it's widest.
    I'm captivated to say the least!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Comment

Ive always been fascinated by captive rings, they look really neat. I also love the wood grain in this piece!

Comment

Well done John. They are really not that hard to do once someone shows you how to do them.

I bought and tried the captive ring tool and it has only led to many failures. If I turn them free hand I have no issues doing them.

Dave
        Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish

Comment

Working...
        X