Durham Woodturning Club Cast Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durham Woodturning Club Cast Project

During the all day demonstration in Whitby this past weekend part of my discussion was about the casting process I do. Here are the results of the piece of wormy box elder burl that was cast that day.

I added a lid to the vase to make it complete. The lid is also a piece of box elder burl , but with out the wormy attributes. The lid was turned and sanded, but not before adding two rings with my skew. The lid was then coated in India Ink and sanded back down slightly to give it a darkened effect. The lid was then dyed blue and the two rings were dyed red and yellow respectively. The lid decorating was part of the process used by Doug Fisher at the hands-on workshop I attended a few weeks ago.

The box was finished with a few coats of Tung Oil and then polished up on my Beall Buffing system. The was only finished on the Beall System without any sort of finish prior to that.

The vessel is @ 3.5" in dia. and @ 2.5" in height.

As for the Durham Club, they are a great bunch of folks to spend the day with. We even had a late entry to the demo when Mack C in Brooklin arrived in the early afternoon. Better late than never they say, even if you are a scroller.

Thanks

Dave
    Attached Files
    Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Durham Woodturning Club Cast Project

This process is so unique and magical! It really brings the piece to life. One day I would love to try it.

What an amazing piece here, I love the rich blue mixed with wood grain, wonderful!

Comment

Hi Dave,

WOW, the piece turned out great! Using blue for this piece was a good choice.

Thanks again for coming out to our club and demonstrating the casting process, everyone had a great time. In speaking with our members that attended the seminar, they all took something away with them and found the day to be very informative. A few are even on the prowl for a pressure pot to start their own castings.

Best regards,
      Rob in Whitby,ON

Comment

Really turned out nice Dave. Cool to have the workshops in your repertoire to use and redefine your projects!! Very nicely done.Dirk H
        I may be shiny, but I aint brand new

Comment

Working...
        X