Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good starter lathe, clubs....suggestions...have one to sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good starter lathe, clubs....suggestions...have one to sell?

Hi There:

I am just looking to start into wood turning and have been reading through forums for a good starter lathe. I would like to get something that will be future proofed for a bit as SWMBO will most likely limit me to one lathe per decade . I am very intrigued by the Delta 46-460, 46-455 and the General 25-200 as the variable speed seems to be of use and the reverse on the Delta I really like.

I am interested in bowl turning and smaller spindle turning.

Would be very interested in anyone with information on Turning clubs in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and where I can purchase good lathe equipment locally. As well if anyone has a lathe available for sale, I would be very interested. ( outside of Kijiji as I have been trolling for awhile )

Cheers,
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Looking for a good starter lathe, clubs....suggestions...have one to sell?

as many other will also add, the lathe is just the first part and a very small part of your total investment

you should consider an older beaver 3400 as well as the newer ones you've suggested

they are very simple and ruggedly built, not to mention really cheap!!

a little crude by todays standards but basically unbreakable, several members here have used one for years including myelf

about 200 for a good working one with some accessories, leaves some cash for turning tools(chisels), a chuck and a grinder for sharpening

there's a well equipped one in the swapmeet, in windsor
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

There are no turning clubs in Kitchener at the moment that any one is talking about. There is one in Burlington, one in London and then Kincardine (http://www.woodchuckers.com/SOWE/ontmap.htm).

As Steve points out, if you sink into the turning vortex, then the lathe will likely be the least expensive category when you look back over a couple of years. If you just slowly slip in to test the waters, then it can be done very inexpensively and still have some resale value if you find you do not like it.

Lloyd

Comment

Good to know that there are no turning clubs locally. I find that KW is limited in woodworking tool shops etc. in general.

Comment

Not a far drive to London (Federated Tool, Lee Valley, Busy Bee Tools) or Hamilton (Tegs Tools 2 stores) or Toronto (Busy Bee Tools, Lee Valley, etc) or Burlington (Lee Valley), or Brantford (Morley Miller) or KW woodshow or Toronto woodshow or Woodstock woodshow or to Sarnia (SteveM's house! Beaver Lodge!).

Murray

Comment

True these are all good choices. At the very least we do have a Lee Valley 2 minutes from my house now ;0) which is nice.
            Obviously I have some tool shopping to do...Yipeeeeee.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Along with the tools, give a bit of thought to your material supply. Start looking into an arborist in the area who might be willing to give you access to some of their waste. Some communities works departments have yards where they drop off their tree waste before chipping and they may give you access.

You'll need something to seal the rough turned pieces if you go for green wood. Anchor seal or hot wax seem to be near the top of the list, with latex paint also a quick solution if you can get a couple of coats on.

It is a slippery slope if you are not careful.

Lloyd

Comment

I have a Rockwell/Beaver 3400 lathe in the swap meet for sale.
                Last edited by stevem; 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM. Reason: moved ad to swap meet
                Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
                X