Pepper Mill - Thanks to Mike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepper Mill - Thanks to Mike

I mentioned making a pepper mill as a special gift in this earlier thread. http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...itle-shop-time

I used the router method discussed in that thread to construct the cross feature and here is the final result.

GFPMill1.jpg GFPMill2.jpg GFPMill3.jpg

At 8 inches tall this is a truly international mill made with Knysna yellowwood, Australian blackwood, Rhodesian/Zimbabwe teak, Brazilian jatoba and lowly North American poplar.

Many thanks to Mike Golka for the cross feature idea and permission to use it.

As always comments and critique welcome
    Kelvin
    The reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. (Mozzie in White Collar)

Re: Pepper Mill - Thanks to Mike

I like it! I hope to turn some mills in the future. I bought a few used mills just for the works so I would have something to practice on.

Comment

Stunning! Now I want one.

Comment

Great job on the crosses Kelvin. The mills look very nice too. Your method just goes to prove there is more than one way to skin a cat.
        Always drink upsteam of the herd!

Comment

Excellent work and a great teacher.

Now I need to get my act together and make a few of these........another poker in the fire...sigh!!!!

Dave
          Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish

Comment

nice mills!!

the mechanisms for pepper mills are easy to install, at least the cheaper ones from lv(with the long shaft), ive used them for a few mills

a couple of extra notes on the lv mechanisms,

first the height is not critical, the shaft can easily be shortened if needed(i found out the hard way!!). the shaft is aluminum, it can be cut easily then end can be "repeened" to fit the cutter in the bottom. i tried rethreading the other end, but i havent been able to locate the correct die.

i also cut a shallow recess in the bottom of the cap, this keeps the round part that locks the spindle to the cap, centered in the cap when installing it
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Working...
            X