X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converting the PA paint-pot to a pressure pot

Dave

The screw up with the toaster oven was my own fault. I shouldn't have screwed around with the mixture just to keep from wasting a few ml of resin.

As for the longevity, I bought my water clear during 2014 birthday bash over at IAP.. I did up a batch the day of the toaster of fiasco, and it worked great. I actually gave one of the blanks from that pour to Noel this morning when i dropped off his pressure pot. This stuff is over a year old.
    Darrin

Timber Elegance
    My Etsy Store

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
      When you say "clear" do you mean this stuff? as the OP was talking about Water Clear that is a different product. I sort of remember you saying something about having larger gallon containers that were a year or so old and they still hardening fine. I am worried now as I was going to order 2 gallons of the stuff, but I am very doubtful that I would be able to get through that in less than 3 months.
      Yes Matt, I was making note of the "Clear" resin because it is a problematic resin and I wanted to make sure that info was made known.

Water Clear does have a shelf life as well, according to Alumilite literature and I have yet to have any issues with it. I even have some 5 year old Alumilite White still working for me.

After reading a lot of other peoples experiences with the resins available from Alumilite, it appears that the Clear is being chose for it's hardness qualities. With that choice comes a few problems such as heat (room temps) in the summer time for our friends living south of the border. The other large problem they encounter is MOISTURE from high humidity. This is why drying is a key part of the casting process......before hand and right before the mold is filled.
      Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish

Comment

How much weight is generally used to hold down a peice while drawing out the air? I'm in the midst of building a grated weight.
        Last edited by Matt Matt; 05-11-2015, 07:52 PM.
        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
          How much weight is generally used to hold down a peice while drawing out the air? I'm in the midst of building a grated weight.
          It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. For me, the problem is not the weight, but the surface area that needs to be covered. I am using a piece of UHMW with a bolt stuck into it.
          Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
            It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. For me, the problem is not the weight, but the surface area that needs to be covered. I am using a piece of UHMW with a bolt stuck into it.
            Do you need something bigger? I have leftovers.
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Finally got around to getting some dye's for my alumilite. Also picked up another 2 gal of the stuff. It sure does get used up quite quickly if you don't watch it. I orginally bought the 32 oz bottles and that is now all used up. Lasted me for 2 Carabara pens, and made 6 more slightly larger castings.

Here are some of the photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	911825

Got everything all set out. made up 550g of the stuff but it was only enough for 2 of the lager sized molds and 2 of the small ones. I had split the resin up into two halves and made up some blue with silver and red with gold.

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	911826

After the 2.5 hours in the pressure pot, this is what came out. One of the small castings seems to have aborbed quite a bit of the resin and dropped a good 1/2 of volume from the initial pour. I mixed up what was left of the 32oz bottles and made up some sliver/phosflorecent for one of the bigger remaining molds that I streaked in some violet that was used in the second mold. Those are still in the pressure pot and won't be done for another hour.

EDIT:

Seems time flies when your watching TV.. the other casts are done.

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	911827

my daughter really wanted a purple pen so I made a casting up for her. I got an option to get a table at her school end of year fun day. Thought I might bring some pens that I have turned along with some off center turning jewelry. They glow in the dark too

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	911828
              Last edited by matt.mackinnon; 05-15-2015, 06:56 PM.
              Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Their looking good Matt. I'm looking forward to seeing the turned pieces.
                Darrin

Timber Elegance
                My Etsy Store

Comment

Tough lesson the casting that took on more resin than you anticipated. Remember to log the castings results and what happened with the wood type you chose to use. If the resin level drops that far you need to keep this in mind for future casts with the same type of wood or woods that are porous and take on more resin at a given pressure.

Your colours are looking awesome and the glow in the dark is great.

One enthusiastic student doing an awesome job. I'm looking forward to your finished turnings Matt.
                  Woodturning requires sharp tools and practice, and practice requires evaluation or little progress will be made. Keep your tools sharp, practice, evaluate your progress, and have fun............Dale L. Nish

Comment

I just found this thread and saw the OP talking about the Princes Auto paint pot for 80 bucks. I thought nice I'm going to do this for 80 bucks not very expensive. Today I went to my local Princess Auto and found the pot. It is now 2019 not 2015 anymore and now the price is 219.00 bucks. Maybe it will be a little cheaper on sale. Think I'll investigate this some more first.

Comment

Pitty you were not an awful lot closer, or I'd sell you my old PA pot fully setup for a good price. I have moved over to a much larger pot for my needs.
                      Matt

Comment

FYI Frank Howarth one of my favorite YouTubers recently did a video on this topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aROZgtZNlp8
                        beachburl likes this.

Comment

Working...
                        X