X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to turning

i recently reclaimed this old lathe from the bottom of the junk pile
    new(used) furnace or drier motor, new belt, major cleanup
    i know very little about turning, tried a few little pieces, with some success
    i also know nothing about the lathe itself, it just works!!just goes to show that you dont need the latest and greatest tool to enjoy our hobby
    Attached Files
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: new to turning

Nice salvage job! I would fashion a cover to put over the motor to keep the chips and dust out of it since that type has large holes all around the surface. If you decide to upgrade the motor later consider a Totally-Enclosed, Fan-Cooled (TEFC) motor.

billh

Comment

very true, was thinking the same thing
      gotta few pics of some little stuff ive done(very amatuerish i might add)
      but learning fast!!
      a good set of turning tools is next, those sears things just wont hold an edge for more than a few seconds
      then its eliminate the nuts and bolts for the tail piece and tool rest, both are square nuts and bolts,i hate vicegrips for tool adjustments!!
      faceplate is homemade, but a regular drive center is nearby
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

That's an interesting looking lathe. Do you think the bed is original? I get the feeling it's not. It kinda looks like it was built from a bit of this and a bit of that.
        If you want to try to find more information on it you might get some luck over at Old woodworking machines .com . If there's no name plate on it, the best you can do is look through the pictures there and see if you can find one similar. I'm surprised at your comment about the Sears chisels. I had a set and although they aren't great chisels, they seemed to hold an edge for me. I think I still have one or two of them.

The first thing you'll want to do is upgrade that motor when you can. Aside from it being open, I think you'll find it quite under powered once you get further into turning. That said, I think this is a good way to figure out if your into turning or not.
        Nice salvage job.
        J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
        Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Hi Steve, looks like a sturdy lathe you got yourself there.
          Almost looks like a Rockwell head and tailstock set on some heavy U channels, course I could be very wrong here, it just looks like that to me.
          We have a couple of turners from Sarnia coming to the London turners club.
          Might be a good idea to get in touch with them for some help and pointers with your turning, and we can always use some more members if you are interested.
          As for turning tools, Busy Bee has a good set of HSS tools for less than the price of one top of the line tool, $78.- if I recall right.
          Have fun and take care
          Leo Van Der Loo

Have fun and take care
          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
            As for turning tools, Busy Bee has a good set of HSS tools for less than the price of one top of the line tool, $78.- if I recall right.
            Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo
            They might be a few dollars more but the set contains tools that are useful ones. It is similar to the Cdn Tire HSS set that normally sells for about $180 but goes on sale a couple of times a year. I think the Cdn Tire set has what looks like a little better finished steel - it looks smoother. Certainly a good starter set and I still use various tools from mine even though I now have some more expensive tools.

billh

Comment

my biggest challenge so far has been keeping an edge on tools, seems like the grinder never stops
              its a fae cry from sharpening chisels and planes on a waterstone once a week!!
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Do you know how to sharpen them? There have been a few threads in the recent past about sharpening lathe tools. Did you check them out? If not do a search and include grinding or grinder in the key words.
                How are you sharpening them now?
                J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

im sharpening them on a regular grinder with a white wheel from lee valley with a very gentle touch so as not to overheat the edge
                  my first turning experiment was the headlights and wheels on a model rolls royce that was posted here a few months ago
                  also a couple of maple lamps from scrap maple flooring
                  the toolrest was broken some time ago and i had it welded back together
                  like i said before, proper clamps for the tailstock and tools rest are next, any suggestions?
                  Attached Files
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

My Walker Turner lathe also uses nuts and bolts for the tailstock and tool rest. There is a dedicated wrench that comes with it.
                    Actually the lower plate is threaded so I only need worry about the top bolt. If yours has a nut on the bottom, get it welded or otherwise affixed to the lower plate so you don't need to hold it. Buy a couple of hex bolts and dedicate a wrench to the lathe.
                    Works fine for me.
                    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

Comment

well the lower plate(under the bed) for both the tailstock and toolrest are scraps of walnut with a nut!!
                      obviously some more work is required!!

but hey it works, ease of adjustments are a matter of convenience
                      but how about a power source? right now it has an old furnace motor with a simple belt drive, the motor is hinged with a simple 3 inch household hinge to allow gravity to tension the belt, i do get a fair amount of belt slippage at higher speeds

this setup was stritcly temporary, hahaha, suggestions?
                      sorry the picture is actually sideways!!
                      Attached Files
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

You could "trap" the nut. Or use a t-nut.

This a leveling bolt for my lathe bench with the nut inserted in the bottom of the lower rail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LevelingBolt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	843615

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                          well the lower plate(under the bed) for both the tailstock and toolrest are scraps of walnut with a nut!!
                          obviously some more work is required!!

but hey it works, ease of adjustments are a matter of convenience
                          but how about a power source? right now it has an old furnace motor with a simple belt drive, the motor is hinged with a simple 3 inch household hinge to allow gravity to tension the belt, i do get a fair amount of belt slippage at higher speeds

this setup was stritcly temporary, hahaha, suggestions?
                          sorry the picture is actually sideways!!
                          Come to think of it, one of my tool rests as well as my steady rest have wood blocks for the bottom plate. I brazed a nut to an oversize washer, drilled some small holes in the washer and fastened it to the block with a couple of screws. It works great.
                          As for the belt drive...maybe add some weight to the motor or a spring. That would still be a temporary fix but it may help with the slippage until you get another motor.
                          J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

Comment

Hi Steve
                            How wide is the gap in your lathe bed bottom, and what size bold are you using now ??
                            I might be able to make a couple blocks for you for cheap.
                            As for power, I think you should try to get a tefc 1/2 or better 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor, and I don,t know a low cost place to get one.
                            I see in your pic' that you have a single pulley only on your motor, I would recommend you get a 3 or 4 sheave pulley on your new motor, so you can have more speeds available, not the best, but CT has always carried some.
                            The weight of just your motor is not really a good way of keeping the belt tensioned, as the motor will try to run-up on the belt, a simple pipe with a rod in it and a push spring on that, between the motor and the lathe, would keep the belt tensioned better, also a notched V-belt can wrap easier around the small pulley sheaves, and tend to be less whipping than a regular v-belt.
                            Those are just my thoughts on it.
                            Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                              Hi Steve
                              As for power, I think you should try to get a tefc 1/2 or better 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor, and I don,t know a low cost place to get one.
                              Try Princess Auto if you're near one for the motor.
                              Salamat, Ingat

Brian in Calgary

Comment

Working...
                              X