Bed build with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed build with pics

Here is a simple bed I have just finished for my MIL. I made this from a picture so I had no measurements. The headboard is too tall by about 5 inches I think but it looks better with the mattress etc. It is made from ash which a friend gave me. It was from his property, cut many years ago and stored in his basement. I milled it with my jointer and planer at the end of the summer. The insect damage was minimal. The finish is two coats of danish oil. First pics are of the finished bed. Next few are the process of fitting bed hooks. I thought I would include these as there have been quite a few questions about this on the forum. These are available from LV. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...842,43730&ap=1 I show the hook on a rail. I have no pics of the matching female part unfortunately. Two critical things in using these. First and most obviously the measurement from the floor must be exact on all four posts. There is no margin of error allowed. Secondly, the male portion must be recessed slightly so it pulls the female part tight. I used a scant sixteenth. Doing a test fit on scrap pieces is critical before starting on your actual cutting. I am recycling these hooks from beds I made for my kids years ago. Then a photo of the Jessem jig set up for the slats. Keen eyes will note one side is not centred properly on the board. I had to drill the matching holes in the slats off centre to compensate. I used my RAS and a shop made jig to drill the holes for dowels in the slats. The mattress support is 5/8 MDF on a frame of side supports and three cross pieces. Very comfortable.
    All questions and comments welcome.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bed build with pics

Looks good.
    The slat oopsie can be blame on the optics of the perspective

I'm wondering why you used the RAS to drill the hole in slats instead of using the doweling jig?
    Speed?
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Much faster with the jig and only one set-up. Just push the slat into the bit, take out and on to the next one.

Comment

Very nice. I used the same hardware when I built a big girl bed for my granddaughter. One trick I found online was to drill holes through the rail and plug it with oak dowel so the bedhook screws has something other then end grain to bit into. I made it from alder and it was being painted. Here is a finished pic minus the post caps.

Comment

Looking good.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Looks good. I am using the same hardware in the bed I am building. How did you make the recess for the bed hooks? Router jig? Pics?
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

I've never seen s setup like that with the drill on the RAS. Of course I don't usually look at them. So could you in theory put a router bit in there and use it as a horizontal mortiser?

Comment

Originally posted by sarita View Post
                Very nice. I used the same hardware when I built a big girl bed for my granddaughter. One trick I found online was to drill holes through the rail and plug it with oak dowel so the bedhook screws has something other then end grain to bit into. I made it from alder and it was being painted. Here is a finished pic minus the post caps.
                Thanks. That's a good idea for the end grain. I have never had a problem with the screws pulling loose but your idea is good insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post

Thanks. That's a good idea for the end grain. I have never had a problem with the screws pulling loose but your idea is good insurance.
                  Your welcome. Kids seem to be rough on beds.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                    Looks good. I am using the same hardware in the bed I am building. How did you make the recess for the bed hooks? Router jig? Pics?
                    Thanks Randy. I used a palm router free hand cause I don't have an edge guide for it yet. Then some chisel work. The outline needs to be good but the interior holes can be roughed out quickly.
                    Here are a few extra pics.

Comment

Originally posted by ub1chris View Post
                      I've never seen s setup like that with the drill on the RAS. Of course I don't usually look at them. So could you in theory put a router bit in there and use it as a horizontal mortiser?
                      I have only ever used a drill bit. I don't think a router bit would be rotating fast enough to be effective.

Comment

Nothing wrong with using the drill bits to make mortises.
                        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Nice bed! Great to see the Jessem jig at work too — I have one in the mail as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                            Nothing wrong with using the drill bits to make mortises.
                            With some chisel work a drill bit will work, but I would use my drill press instead of the RAS.

Comment

Originally posted by saltcod View Post
                              Nice bed! Great to see the Jessem jig at work too — I have one in the mail as we speak.
                              Thanks. You'll love the Jessem.

Comment

Working...
                              X