Random Orbit Sander and Polishing Pads and Speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Orbit Sander and Polishing Pads and Speed

I plan on using my R/O sander for final high gloss polishing with a 4000 grit polishing compound and lambswool pad. My sander is fixed speed. Is it preferable to have a variable speed sander when polishing? Higher or lower speed? My motor is starting to show its age anyway and was thinking maybe it is time to pick up a variable speed 4k-12k rpm sander. Thoughts?
    Last edited by WoodBob; 04-19-2017, 10:12 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Random Orbit Sander and Polishing Pads and Speed

My direct experience with polishing is in automotive finishes where polishing causes water based clear coats to turn milky as a result of the heat of polishing. Liquid nitrogen injected through the polishing pad to keep the surface cool is the cure for that problem but that won't help you i don't imagine.
    Bottom line would be to use the slowest speed possible and the lightest pressure practical to minimize heat build up. Moving the pad over a wide area will also help dissipate heat quickly. That technique will give you the best chance for a high gloss finish.
    The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I have gone to 2000 just by hand with no issues.

Comment

starting point what are you polishing

4k to 12k is not for polishing

Comment

This is for the final polish of a high gloss poly finish on a small box. And it is actually 4000-12000 orbits/minute. Not sure that is the same as RPM.

Comment

if its a random orbit sander like a dynabrade its not the right beast. We use rotary with wool at 800 - 1,500 RPM to take out 1,200 -1,500 grit scratches get it to a pretty high level. Slower speeds remove more material than higher speeds. then switch to a random sander like a 6040 B makita with foam. Higher sanding grits like you are talking 3, 4, 5000 grit just make the final easier. At 4000 that should come up with the Makita type and foam but the dynabrade stuff probably wont have the strength sure wont on a car or large surfaces. I have no idea what the orbits are they are not really orbits its forced motion out of orbits motion which help take out the swirls. IM used to polishing automotive or automotive finishes on furniture. You said Poly but Poly what? id assume you mean Polyurathane and not Polyester. Polyester very hard more so than most automotives but doubt you are using that. Ask the manufacturer of whatever brand you have what they recommend. Ive used Polyurathane solvent based for off the gun finishes low sheen. Never tried water stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust View Post
              if its a random orbit sander like a dynabrade its not the right beast. We use rotary with wool at 800 - 1,500 RPM to take out 1,200 -1,500 grit scratches get it to a pretty high level. Slower speeds remove more material than higher speeds. then switch to a random sander like a 6040 B makita with foam. Higher sanding grits like you are talking 3, 4, 5000 grit just make the final easier. At 4000 that should come up with the Makita type and foam but the dynabrade stuff probably wont have the strength sure wont on a car or large surfaces. I have no idea what the orbits are they are not really orbits its forced motion out of orbits motion which help take out the swirls. IM used to polishing automotive or automotive finishes on furniture. You said Poly but Poly what? id assume you mean Polyurathane and not Polyester. Polyester very hard more so than most automotives but doubt you are using that. Ask the manufacturer of whatever brand you have what they recommend. Ive used Polyurathane solvent based for off the gun finishes low sheen. Never tried water stuff.
              Thanks for this! I already purchased lambswool (hook and loop) pads for my orbital (Makita) and the polishing compound so I will try that on a test piece and see where it gets me. My single speed may be too fast for it but it does do a fantastic job of finish sanding so I will try it before committing to a variable speed random orbit or maybe even a true dedicated polisher. I am using polyurethane and will build up probably 5-6 coats or more, sanding between coats and starting with a dewaxed shellac as a sanding sealer and grain/pore filler paste.

Comment

what Makita 9227 C rotary, you may not need to go that far backwards with wool if you are going to 4000. wool is cutting and can do down to 1,200 grit at least depending your compound. True polyurathane? dont know that that means Imron and others are polyurathanes, you are using a furniture polyurathane correct its a whole different beast. YOu need to call the manufacturer and find out what they suggest. I might get a dedicated polisher one day they change constantly and the 6040's been used on tons of high end stuff and can match anything maybe not as comfortable as all the designer stuff out there now. .

Comment

what Makita 9227 C rotary, you may not need to go that far backwards with wool if you are going to 4000. wool is cutting and can do down to 1,200 grit at least depending your compound. True polyurathane? dont know that that means Imron and others are polyurathanes, you are using a furniture polyurathane correct its a whole different beast. YOu need to call the manufacturer and find out what they suggest. I might get a dedicated polisher one day they change constantly and the 6040's been used on tons of high end stuff and can match anything maybe not as comfortable as all the designer stuff out there now. .
                  This is what I am using, in this order...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170421_113101.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	1114323

Comment

Never polished that type of material and its not a polisher you have there. looks like one of those carpal tunnel makitas I had at the start the square base things noisey as well. All polish stuff is started by testing, determine how the material responds from known baseline products you are familiar with then choose your pads and polish and machine. If you are doing any size or on going id be looking at a Makita 6040 its also a sander never used it that way only for polishing. I might get one of the new generation of polishers at some point but they have come out with new models a few times before ive done that and I know what the Makitas can do and they can do anything from furniture to Pebble beach cars.

Comment

Never polished that type of material and its not a polisher you have there. looks like one of those carpal tunnel makitas I had at the start the square base things noisey as well. All polish stuff is started by testing, determine how the material responds from known baseline products you are familiar with then choose your pads and polish and machine. If you are doing any size or on going id be looking at a Makita 6040 its also a sander never used it that way only for polishing. I might get one of the new generation of polishers at some point but they have come out with new models a few times before ive done that and I know what the Makitas can do and they can do anything from furniture to Pebble beach cars.
                      The 6040 looks like a HUGELY overpriced variable speed version of what I have in that picture ($800??). But it answers my original question about if the variable speed R/O sander will make a good polisher and it looks like it will on a lower speed setting. But since I just purchased a Bosch router outfit it will have to wait a little longer. I'll test what I have and see if it works.

Thank you!

Comment

you are just going to try it and see how it performs. It doesnt answer your question, I doubt the little one will be good, try and polish a car and reality will settle in quickly. I dont know that material but many others, higher level stuff. The 6040 was 300.00 approx or less when I bought it. It wasnt hugely overpriced its a whole other level of quality, the vibrators I have were toys. Made more vibration and noise than they did work. chances are the excursion on the sander is very small which makes it ineffective, on very small items it might work get into bigger stuff I doubt it without trying it. I tried an air dynbrade once as it was lighter it worked a bit but not well. We use the 6040 to take out the swirls from the rotary and wool and it erases them nicely.

Comment

On a commercial scale or for a car I am sure the 6040 is worth every penny. For my little box/use every 3-4 months, not so much! I rarely do anything high-gloss but Walnut just screams for it.

Comment

sorry didnt read all the posts should have seen its a small box other thing many are two handed machines so you would have to have the box held guitar makers work to a wheel for polishing and use hard compounds they bring the piece to the wheel

Comment

Working...
                            X