Dust collection on miter saw..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection on miter saw..

My Dewalt miter saw is on a rolling dewalt stand so I can move it out of the way. I do have dust collection but it prefers stationary tools. I have always just used the not very effective dust bag that came with the saw. The bag quickly fills up and then more dust spills out so empty the bag. Just out of frustration one day I tied a Safeway bag to the dust bag and ran it that way. I left the miter saw bag bottom open. I was amazed at how effective the dust was picked up. Much more than when I just use the bag as designed. I suspect closing the miter saws dust bag limits the air flow into the bag. Leaving the bag open allows good air flow into the bag and dumps the dust into the safeway bag tied to it. Minimal dust on the floor and behind the saw.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dust collection on miter saw..

My experience with dust collection with a miter saw is make the cuts the collect the dust. Others experiences may vary. Seems some put the saw in a little tent,or box of sorts,make the cut then collect the dust.once again,your experience may vary. Seems to me to be one of the more difficult machines to perfect dust control

Comment

I've used the bag, and hooked up a Vac/DC to the port. Neither do much of anything for my 10" slider on a mobile stand. there are commercial "pop open tent pole style dust catchers that mount behind but super pricey. I saw one guy who literally mounted a garbage pail on its side to the back of his cart and put a hole in the bottom for a DC hookup and claimed it worked pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by ehender2 View Post
        My Dewalt miter saw is on a rolling dewalt stand so I can move it out of the way. I do have dust collection but it prefers stationary tools. I have always just used the not very effective dust bag that came with the saw. The bag quickly fills up and then more dust spills out so empty the bag. Just out of frustration one day I tied a Safeway bag to the dust bag and ran it that way. I left the miter saw bag bottom open. I was amazed at how effective the dust was picked up. Much more than when I just use the bag as designed. I suspect closing the miter saws dust bag limits the air flow into the bag. Leaving the bag open allows good air flow into the bag and dumps the dust into the safeway bag tied to it. Minimal dust on the floor and behind the saw.
        Sounds like a good idea to me, cheap and effective.
        Rob

Comment

There is two main things about compound miter/sliders. They create a direct dust and they create a fine indirect dust. That direct dust can usually be collected just with a shop vac. The indirect/fine dust usually needs a larger opening dust collector with high CFM. When you get up in to some higher end compound mitre saw's, the guard acts as part of the dust collection, And just a simple shop vac will do.
          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

My Dewalt SCMS is on a home made cabinet and I have a small Rigid Shop Vac dedicated to the saw. The smaller hose of the Vac slides on to the plastic outlet that normally goes into the bag. It is plugged into a power bar on the side of the cabinet, very easy to turn on. It gets the major amount of the dust and I let it run for a few seconds after the cut to collect some of the airborne stuff. Not perfect but better than the bag which tends to clog up.
            HARO50 likes this.
            Mike
            www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau

Comment

I bought a dust hood from busy bee tools and fastened it to my saw and run my 1hp dust collector. It does a good job on both the saw dust and the fine dust. I did have an additional hose on the existing dust port but needed it elsewhere so I put the bag back on.

Steve The Drill Sergeant
              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

My Bosch spews dust everywhere. I've tried a bigger bag, connecting my small and large shop vacs and building a hood with dust collector attached.

The only effective way I've found to use the saw without making a huge mess in the shop is to use it outside.

...ken...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post
                  My Bosch spews dust everywhere. I've tried a bigger bag, connecting my small and large shop vacs and building a hood with dust collector attached.

The only effective way I've found to use the saw without making a huge mess in the shop is to use it outside.

...ken...
                  My hood and dust collector gets 99% of the dust.

Can you post a picture of your set up Ken ?

Cheers, Don

Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	1129689

A demonstration of how important the opening is with a lower powered dust collector >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQWSlUTz88k

Cheers, Don
                  Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
                  Product Photography
                  My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

I have a 12" Ridgid SCMS which I like well enough but I was never able to find a way to deal with the dust. I did a lot of research and it seems that most people simply give up on SCMS dust collection, which is what I've done after this happened:

I was using the dust bag it shipped with. One day I cut through some thick wood which had deck screws in it. Couldn't be helped, had to be done. It made some smoke.

After about 10 minutes I returned to the basement and thought it's strange the smoke hasn't dissipated. 20 minutes later the fire alarm went off. I went into the basement and thought it looked like there was even more smoke.

Turns out when I cut through the screws some sparks ended up in the dust bag, and the dust started smoldering. I took the bag outside and emptied it (it already had a good-size hole on one side) - it would have set on fire in a few minutes. Problem is - there was no fire, I couldn't see the smoldering inside the dust bag - so there was a significant risk that I would have burned my house down if I left after making that cut.

I tried a shop vac but the hose interferes significantly with the sliding operation. I expect a dust collector hose would be even worse.

I'll be collecting SCMS dust for the rest of the life of this workshop in this basement
                    Andrew Smith

Comment

When I was in my early teens, a century or two ago, my cousins and I used to enjoy fishing in remote area's around Waterton Lakes, AB. They lived there so knew the remote backwoods like the back of their hands. My uncle also trapped much of that area before and after WW11. One of the first things I had to learn from them, along with how to fish of course, was how to start a fire quickly without matches.
                      I really think most woodworkers would be amazed at just how easy it is to start a fire with just two pieces of wood. Add a steel saw blade and watch out. I'm not going to instruct you here but if those interested want to learn, there are several youtube video's available online. Gives one a healthy respect for the power packed inside a piece of wood or two.
                      I suspect that wood, especially wood dust, wants to burn and is waiting for the chance.
                      Last edited by ehender2; 07-21-2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X