Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water based Polyurathane,can it be buffed or polished?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water based Polyurathane,can it be buffed or polished?

Paul, is this the product you mentioned?

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-brite-Pre...olden+teak+oil

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

LOL! No, the product is called Amazon's

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazons Teak Oil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1132726

I wondered if I should have added a qualifier after I posted

Paul

Comment

have a variety of blocks cant even remember but many have a side with cork Hardwood then cork or some 1/4" white foam padding that is an excellent padding think from vinyl tops also comes in 1/8" as well but just use 1/4. It also works well in raised panel doors instead of the usual that some shops use. for the most part I dont want much or any padding in the starting stage ill have to dig up blocks I had mahogany sanding boards up to 31" long and just choose sizes that fit whatever I was doing the best. the 31" was from making a couple of car doors truly straight, worked very well with stick on automotive paper.

Comment

I sanded it with 220,then 320( by hand) with the grain,wiped then tacked it,then sprayed a coat of clear,looks pretty decent

Comment

Al, sounds like things are going along the right lines for you. Good news!!
            I would put another clear coat on there for better protection and to give it some depth.
            You mentioned you "tacked" it. Was this wiping it with one of those sticky cloths? Sometimes the sticky stuff can cause a bad reaction with the finish, so I only use microfibre cloths and let static do the work. Pop them in the washer, then dry on high and they are good to go again and again.

Paul

Comment

I did use a tack cloth,seemed to work fine. There is a total of four coats on it now ,two with dye for tone and topped wit two clear,it has nice depth,and is now onboard the yatch

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

IIt has been my experience that you can buff any type of finish provided that you use appropriate materials , wait until the finish is cured before you start the buffing process and that the finish is indeed thick enough. I have polished everything from butyrate dope through water-based polyurethane and epoxy finishes. My cane was finished with spar varnish on the lathe and polished out (after sanding) with a triple combination of Tripoli, white diamond and white rouge, in order, to a very high gloss finish.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2447.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1133404

I cannot imagine why Al could not do the same for his application?

Ken

Comment

there are different tac rags,. I would not use the old yellow ones the blue ones from Gershon are fine for automotive and its more critical than other finishes at least you dont want to screw up there. Ken the reason some finishes are hard to polish is they are soft, it can make it difficult. When you get into the higher levels of polishing a soft finish can be a challenge. .

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust View Post
                    there are different tac rags,. I would not use the old yellow ones the blue ones from Gershon are fine for automotive and its more critical than other finishes at least you dont want to screw up there. Ken the reason some finishes are hard to polish is they are soft, it can make it difficult. When you get into the higher levels of polishing a soft finish can be a challenge. .
                    Tack cloths are indeed made in differing compositions for different applications.

Heated agreement here! Soft finishes are indeed more difficult to polish (not so for metals) ergo the list of finishes that I cited! Butyrate dope for example is very soft, and it polishes out just fine; it is a question of how one goes about it.

Ken

Comment

what I said is not really right and its not that simple. Acrylic lacquer is hard and brittle still it polishes easily and was also easy enough to heat too much, its a hard finish that becomes soft easily. PLexiglass is hard and it polishes to a mirror but if not polished right can be a mess There are heat curves in the material and the polish and then all the combinations of pads and polishes. The solvent based Polyurathanes ive used are actually hard finishes, people have used them on floors for a long time. Ive done some table tops in Polyurathane as it was a simple finish the solvent stuff that would stand up pretty very well. Ive never polished it the sheen I wanted on the tables came from off the gun. The last speaker I polished was the hardest thing ive ever polished as it was the softest finish. Sitting for a month after the fact the finish crept and moved and I was able to tell them their finish was defective either in manufacture or application.
                      KenL likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X