Alternatives to Windsor Plywood in Alberta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Windsor Plywood in Alberta

Windsor Plywood has a good selection and decent customer service. I'll admit my heart skips a beat every time I'm at the till to ring-up the bill. It's never pretty. There's not many options in Edmonton to get reasonably priced hardwood.

Where are you guys shopping to reduce your hardwood lumber costs? Are you tolerating the high prices at Windsor or are you finding any cheaper alternatives to buy hardwood for your projects?
    Last edited by Steven Owen; 09-15-2017, 10:18 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Alternatives to Windsor Plywood in Alberta

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/lumber-directory

try here
    When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

PM me.
      Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Owen View Post
        Windsor Plywood has a good selection and decent customer service. I'll admit my heart skips a beat every time I'm at the till to ring-up the bill. It's never pretty. There's not many options in Edmonton to get reasonably priced hardwood.

Where are you guys shopping to reduce your hardwood lumber costs? Are you tolerating the high prices at Windsor or are you finding any cheaper alternatives to buy hardwood for your projects?
        Look HERE for better prices and service.

Comment

Will Lancashire sell to non wholesale customers?

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Look HERE for better prices and service.
            Wally, their website is somewhat lacking, showing that they only carry 4/4 red oak or maple. Do you know what else they have? And do they sell retail?
            Egon likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

Wally, their website is somewhat lacking, showing that they only carry 4/4 red oak or maple. Do you know what else they have? And do they sell retail?
              They have mainly domestic woods and sheet goods. If you were looking to buy some quantity's of wood I'm sure they would sell to you but not just for a board or 3 . Just tell them that you are a small business and pay for your order when you get it. Phone and ask them when you need something and see what they say.

Comment

Thanks Wally.

Comment

Is there a PJ White in Edmonton? I think you need to have a business license to buy from them since they were bought by Richelieu. Have you dealt with them Wally?

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                    Is there a PJ White in Edmonton? I think you need to have a business license to buy from them since they were bought by Richelieu. Have you dealt with them Wally?
                    Yes -- Richelieu owns them now and their prices went up substantially since. You should phone and ask as I seen a person off the street do a buy at Richelieu just last week. Ask Mo (Mreza) or Stan Otto -- they should know where to get what in Edmonton.

Comment

As Wally says, PJ White is now part of Richelieu. I am not a volume purchaser, but had no trouble getting an account there and they're my main source for standard hardwoods. Lancashire sells to me with out an account, but I have not bought hardwood there, only sheet goods. For exotic hardwoods, WG Chanin Hardwoods or Windsor Plywood seem to be the best or only option in Edmonton.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth View Post
                        As Wally says, PJ White is now part of Richelieu. I am not a volume purchaser, but had no trouble getting an account there and they're my main source for standard hardwoods. Lancashire sells to me with out an account, but I have not bought hardwood there, only sheet goods. For exotic hardwoods, WG Chanin Hardwoods or Windsor Plywood seem to be the best or only option in Edmonton.
                        For small amounts of exotic hardwoods in the Edmonton/Fort Saskatchewan area read post #3.

Don Burch likes this.
                        Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Owen View Post

Windsors pricing on things like cherry shorts and similar usually isn't all that bad here in YYC. There are cheaper alternatives, but you gotta dig in the local marketplace.

I get some of my sheet goods at Lancashire Wood products, some at E-Roko, and a smattering at other places.
                          My rough dimensioned hardwoods I get at a few places: Windsor can at times have ok-ish pricing, Bacon Veneer, 'The Wood Hippy' whose yard is out by Crossfield, and occasionally at Black Forrest whose pricing is usually the MOST expensive but its closer than the others.

I know these are all YYC specific shops, but I'm sure Edmonton has the same variety. In the end I had to do a moderate amount of leg work to find a comfort spot with local suppliers.
                          Steven Owen likes this.

Comment

Once again Calgary not Edmonton but I have been getting all my hardwood from Joe @ http://www.exquisitewoodmouldings.ca/ usually 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of Windsor for domestic hardwoods. He doesn't have a showroom or anything so you have to trust him but give him a call and he will order you in whatever you need.

Comment

Originally posted by SputnikRSS View Post
                              Once again Calgary not Edmonton but I have been getting all my hardwood from Joe @ http://www.exquisitewoodmouldings.ca/ usually 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of Windsor for domestic hardwoods. He doesn't have a showroom or anything so you have to trust him but give him a call and he will order you in whatever you need.
                              I don’t mind the drive down to Calgary if it will cut costs for some projects. I’ll have to buy a pick-up to stock-up on hardwoods during road trips.

Comment

Working...
                              X