Christmas Toy Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Toy Drive

I have to deliver this year's toys this weekend so I am done for this year. Looking forward to seeing more from everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3135.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	1151129
    Chimera likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Well done Dennis, looks like you have it all covered, planes, trains and automobiles plus firetrucks, boats and helicopters.

Comment

Great Job Dennis!

That batch will make a lot of kits happy this Christmas.

John

Comment

Thanks John I get a big kick out of doing it. The toys go to an emergency food hamper program. This program provides food to those who have literally nothing in the cupboard. Not infrequently the toys are taken by grandparents who have very limited means and cannot afford much if anything for their grandchildren. Often it is going to be a little something extra in a pretty bleak Christmas morning.

Comment

Well I'm finally finished and here's this year's production. A couple repeats from last year and some new ones. Colours are all food colouring and finish is beeswax.
            Chimera likes this.

Comment

Great work Doug. The colours really make a difference. I am assuming the food colouring is added to water so the finish will raise the grain? Do you sand and re-coat?

Comment

Thanks Dennis, yes the food colouring was just added to water and did raise the grain a bit. I didn't sand again but the wax smoothed the finish out nicely.

Comment

Here is this year's crop. Thanks again to the good folks at Century Mill for their kind donation of wood for this project. Still working on some music boxes to add to the collection that will be going to Durham Children's organization. Click image for larger version

Name:	XmasToys2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1152023

Comment

Looks great Steve, there will be a few more happy kids this year thanks to all our efforts.

Comment

Well done Steve. Are those plastic wheels and if so where did you get them?

Comment

Wheels are wooden. Made them myself on the drill press with a hole cutter and rounded them over with a 1/8 roundover bit. Lot of work but much cheaper than buying them.

Comment

I like cheap.

Comment

Delivered my toys and puzzles today and got a receipt for income tax purposes, I conservatively estimated the value at $100, that works out to about $1/hr for my time, most of the wood was free or shop scraps. I'm sure I could have honestly valued it much higher. Anyone else get tax receipts for their contributions? If so how do you value your donations. Any tax refund I get from this will go into next years toys.

Comment

Never thought of asking for a tax receipt. Wouldn't know who to ask. The folks at our local rec center collect all the donations and then distribute them.

Comment

I've donated to the same place the last three years, the first year I did not ask for or get a receipt but the second year and this year they offered a receipt without me asking for one. All I had to do was fill out a short form and decide what the toys were worth. In hindsight I'm sure I underestimated the value but I wasn't making the donation for the tax break, it was the fun of making the toys and the hope that some needy children would have a good Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X