Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandsaw Drift...this can't be real right??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bandsaw Drift...this can't be real right??

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
    How about the showdown who can cut the thinnest Venere . Is 8”” to tall ?my Little sixteen inch is only good for 12 inches
    resaw hight
    . It’s most certainly old being made in 1950.I’d be game for that. And to be fair I will only use my little 16 inch saw with a 3/8” blade
    Sure, you specify the blade and I'll buy them and mail them out to you and Jeff.

You specify the cutting method and mail the wood out Jeff and I.................Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

This is going to be fun.....
      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

I take it we will have the video recordings of the tests.
        Please.

Comment

"am going to be purchasing a little ripper at the end of this month...once I have it would you Rod be interested in a veneer cutting showdown? You use your favorite old school methods and I use my new jig. At the end we will get the "

will there be a poll on the outcome?
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
            I take it we will have the video recordings of the tests.
            Please.
            I don't have a method of doing a video, I can mail you the veneer if you want............Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
              "am going to be purchasing a little ripper at the end of this month...once I have it would you Rod be interested in a veneer cutting showdown? You use your favorite old school methods and I use my new jig. At the end we will get the "

Since I've used both the fence and the sled with equal success I vote that they both make great veneer.

The fence is a lot easier to use as I only have to set it for the veneer thickness I want, the sled you have to move the work piece over each time, and I'm lazy.

Of course I have no idea if Jack will pick the fence method for me so I have no idea if I'll be using that method.

regards, Rod.

Comment

I would like to get in on this competition... however my veneers are so thin they can not be seen by the human eye. And only the fairest of princesses can even feel them they are so thin.
                I actually used veneers to create some new clothing for an emporer once, but they fell out of fashion quickly.

Thus I'll watch this one from the stands.
                Chimera, BandsawJeff and Egon like this.
                [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Sure, you specify the blade and I'll buy them and mail them out to you and Jeff.

You specify the cutting method and mail the wood out Jeff and I.................Rod.
                  Strictly carbon blades hook tooth three point .025 my blade is 12 feet . Criteria will be Caliper measured variances top bottom center and average thickness. Let’s do it 24 inch length so video isn’t too long which also is a requirement.
                  everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                  English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

I got to thinking and remembered I had a few small pieces I'd cut while experimenting some years ago. These were cut on a 14 inch king three speed bandsaw with an extension block and a fence that was altered to make it taller. Widths are shown by tape measure. Thickness is ?? Forgot how to read the vernier and the electric had dead batteries. Ipad pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	1149108
                    Attached Files
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Re: Bandsaw Drift...this can't be real right??

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
                      Strictly carbon blades hook tooth three point .025 my blade is 12 feet . Criteria will be Caliper measured variances top bottom center and average thickness. Let’s do it 24 inch length so video isn’t too long which also is a requirement.
                      Thanks Jack, I can't do a video so I'll mail you the veneer.

Once I hear back from Jeff I'll order the blades, I believe you said 1/2" width?

I'll PM you my address so you can mail me the piece of wood.

Which method am I using to cut the veneers?

regards, Rod.

Comment

Great! This will be good fun!
                        So is everyone mailing their veneer to impartial judge? and during the video we can make a magic marker number to ensure it is the same veneer.
                        I have a 111" blade length and if I'm not mistaken initial the blade width was set at 3/8" but i'm good with any size.
                        So 8" tall and 24" long?
                        btw my veneer will be so thin it will only have one side. Watch out guys! lol

Comment

I'm curious to know how Jack is going to mail the wood that you guys are going to saw .....

Comment

Would it best to all agree to get some 6/4 red oak? rather then going through the mail. I have some here already...

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post

might be fun to have a poll!

Comment

How about if everyone posts a picture or video of their jig or set-up for sawing logs and sawing veneers on the bandsaw? I'll post mine tomorrow (it's still under construction).

Comment

Working...
                                X