source for mineral oil in bulk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for mineral oil in bulk?

Does anyone have a good Canadian source for pure food grade mineral oil in 4l / 1gal containers? Amazon.ca has a few options but most seem to be scented in some way, and the prices aren't great.

I made my first end grain cutting board and at the rate that it's drinking up oil I'd rather just plunk it in a bath rather than re-coating it continuously.

I'm in Victoria if anyone happens to be local and knows a brick and mortar source.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: source for mineral oil in bulk?

Vets have large quantity jugs. Not sure if safe enough for human consumption though, you may need to do some research.

Comment

Not the real answer to your question but try a farm supply company . I believe it is used as a cattle laxative. if nothing else you will be posing an amusing question to someone

Comment

You may want to read through all this great info here:

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...oard-questions
        When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

A bit pricey, but here's a whole bunch of choices : https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...de+mineral+oil

Comment

Try a commercial bakery supply place. I used to work in a bakery and we would buy it by the 45 gallon drum. It is usually sold as "divider oil" and is used in lubricating machinery where there could be incidental contact with the products. It is a food safe mineral oil.
            Last edited by woodhack1; 01-02-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodhack1 View Post
              Try a commercial bakery supply place.
              Thanks, that's very interesting!

I'm also checking the farm/feed supply places. Looks like that's an option, although around here 1 litre is all they're stocking. Still half the price of the pharmacy though.

Comment

I recently purchased a US gallon jug for $21.25US through Amazon.com. I had it shipped along with some other stuff to. Kinek package place near the border, but in the US. Also had to pay $5US to Kinek plus HST to Canada Customs. It is food grade mineral oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are looking for a food safe finish on a cutting board I believe that just about any finish once it dries is food safe.
                  smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Local horse tack supply place in town had it, they use it for dosing horses and cattle. One gallon jug was $29.95 Somebody out your way will sell horse stuff. Just look for rich folk

http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=MEO87

I see they have a location on West Saanich Road in Victoria

Last edited by StephenL; 01-03-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                      Local horse tack supply place in town had it, they use it for dosing horses and cattle. One gallon jug was $29.95 Somebody out your way will sell horse stuff. Just look for rich folk

http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=MEO87

I see they have a location on West Saanich Road in Victoria

Thanks, will check up on that! I actually tried a couple horse places and they all had no clue what I was talking about. I clearly called the wrong people!

Comment

Rich people's horses don't poop.........................Do they??
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I bought mineral oil from Walmart, $1.98 per quart.

Comment

Originally posted by beemser View Post

Thanks, that's very interesting!

I'm also checking the farm/feed supply places. Looks like that's an option, although around here 1 litre is all they're stocking. Still half the price of the pharmacy though.
                            The farm supply is not Heavy Food safe mineral oil. They use the cheaper light oil. The only place I've found the Heavy is in a Pharmacy. All the restaurants that I do work for use olive oil and it is passed by the inspectors. I have never used it on mine as I don't mind buying a few liters of Heavy @ $6-8 usually. I put a coat on and cover with light sheet plastic overnight. Then repeat the next day. I only used 1 1/2 liters on this 3' x4' BB top and it was coming out the bottom when I was finished.

Comment

There's a place on Commander in Scarborough that has no website, will sell to the public, and I've gone to every so many years for 20 kg bags of Epson Salts and Baking Soda. They basically sell normally to bulk food retailers, but also to other businesses/individuals. They are called Grain Process Enterprises. They might have Mineral Oil in bulk also.

https://www.bakersjournal.com/buyers...n-process-2333
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X