Cork for a Table Top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cork for a Table Top

I have a guy that wants me to build him a table with cork on the top. He would like it edged with either teak or mahogany, but wants the centre part cork.
    Only cork I can find that seems durable enough is the product they used for floors.
    If I purchased the cork they use on bulletin boards (about 1/4" thich) and glued it on a 3/4" plywood base, I am still faced with what to use for a durable finish on it.
    I'm open to all and any suggestions.

Re: Cork for a Table Top

Dale, it seems odd to apply a finish to cork. Does the cork serve a purpose or is it for a visually effect? What about putting a glass top over the cork?

Comment

FWIW cork used for flooring can be quite durable and take a pretty nice finish. The high school I went to had a cork floor in the gym which which looked beautiful, took a beating and stood up remarkably well! Whether it would be suitable for a table top I wouldn't know....

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by akabek View Post
        Dale, it seems odd to apply a finish to cork. Does the cork serve a purpose or is it for a visually effect? What about putting a glass top over the cork?
        No idea what the OP is using it for, but I've heard of similar table-tops being used for a wet bar so that you can set down glass bottles quietly and with no worries about damage to the bottle.

I don't know what finish they used though.

Comment

Working...
        X