Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Box and First Ever Success with Jointer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Box and First Ever Success with Jointer!

I started a new box this weekend and was going to glue up but the birdseye top (same piece of wood as my last box) had just too much wobble in it. I found that one end of that wood was twisted more than the other. This is the twisted end the other end is the last box. Anyway, I decided even if it did glue up ok, it would always bother me. So that piece may end up as firewood. But, I took another lesser birdseye piece off the pile that also had a slight twist. With a mighty sigh I used my jointer. An Uncle came to visit late last year and gave me some pointers and techniques for using a jointer. So with his encouragement I jointed the twist out in relatively few passes and then planed the piece to perfectly flat! Fortunately most of this wood is 4/4 - 6/4 and some more so plenty of room to take out twists. I did reset the jointer knives as well I don't think they have ever been done (I bought the jointer used 20 years ago). That may have had a lot to do with it.

So here is the old piece that will end up as something who knows what (the piece it is sitting on is also twisted).

Here is the new piece.

I also tried a little fancier leg treatment.

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: New Box and First Ever Success with Jointer!

That wood is too nice not to use.
    WoodBob likes this.

Comment

Bob... are you saying that the jointer blades have not been sharpened with 20 years of use? If so, lucky you as there appears to be no "pitting" of the eyes of the maple you were jointing. I was not so lucky, found I needed sharper blades! Good work, a nice piece to display somewhere. Roy
      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
        Bob... are you saying that the jointer blades have not been sharpened with 20 years of use? If so, lucky you as there appears to be no "pitting" of the eyes of the maple you were jointing. I was not so lucky, found I needed sharper blades! Good work, a nice piece to display somewhere. Roy
        Well not exactly. I bought the jointer used 20 years ago (Rockwell) and I barely ever used it since my results always were pretty poor. For the most part this jointer has sat in a corner unused for 20 years. But after removing the knives (they were actually still quite sharp) and resetting the height of them properly, the jointer worked great. I am not sure it was my recent training or the knives being reset (or a combination) but it worked well.

Comment

Working...
        X