Work in progress - Entrance Bench # 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in progress - Entrance Bench # 3

I've been wanting to do a limited production run of entrance benches on spec and decided to come up with a new design !

For a change I'm going with turned legs, basically two inches on the bottom tapering to one inch on the top.

My previous benches had a leather seat sitting in a frame, the fabric was simply wrapped around the foam/plywood. This will have a seat "floating" one inch above the frame and its shape will be more like a "cushion".

For the arms I'm considering leaving hand plane marks as a texture. Bottom smooth, top textured.

There will be no leg to leg side rail, instead the rails will be moved to the inside.

I spent A LOT of time considering using through/wedged tenons and decided as much as I would like to show off that element would be distracting.

Concept drawing...

Click image for larger version  Name:	1 -The concept.jpg Views:	1 Size:	347.2 KB ID:	1189513

Material to be used. BC maple @ 2 1/4" thick and the second bench with the most figured walnut board I have have the pleasure to come across @ 1 15/16" thick.

This will give me a chance to evaluate whether or not standard 8/4 material is thick enough for the legs.

If not, I will just have to keep the curly walnut bench for myself

Click image for larger version  Name:	2 - Maple board.jpg Views:	1 Size:	312.4 KB ID:	1189515

Up for consideration was a very nice rift sawn cherry board, I decided to save it for the next run of benches as it is 1 15/16" thick...

The board on the right is a possible choice if the curly walnut plank does not yield all the parts, the bottom two pieces are the rails resawed from the curly walnut plank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3 - Cherry and alt walnut plank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	349.2 KB ID:	1189516

First consideration is the leg to rail joint. I turned two test legs to visualize the connection...

Click image for larger version  Name:	5 - Leg mock ups.jpg Views:	1 Size:	442.6 KB ID:	1189514

If I go with a simple tapered leg, the rails will have to be shaped. Basically a tapered cove cut and after some thought decided it was simply too plain.

Instead I decided to leave a square section when turning the taper. This will give me a square to the world leg to rail joint.

The unturned section would be carved to fit.

Full size drawing...

Click image for larger version  Name:	4 - Full size drawing.jpg Views:	1 Size:	209.2 KB ID:	1189522

Dry fit...

Click image for larger version  Name:	7- Dry assemble.jpg Views:	1 Size:	398.5 KB ID:	1189523

Pretty basic turning using a 1" roughing gouge and a simple jig. I knocked off the corners of the legs on the bandsaw before turning...

Click image for larger version  Name:	6 - Turning template.jpg Views:	1 Size:	746.3 KB ID:	1189517

To speed up shaping the unturned section, I made a simple jig for the bandsaw. Cut, rotate, repeat.. The cut is about 1/16" proud of the taper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8 - Bandsaw leg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	443.1 KB ID:	1189518

Click image for larger version  Name:	9 - Legs bandsawed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	455.0 KB ID:	1189519

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 - Maple legs roughed out.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.9 KB ID:	1189520

Shaping was fairly straight forward, die grinder with a saburr bit, a sleeveless sanding drum and spokeshave for the flat surfaces.

Click image for larger version  Name:	11 - Weapons of choice.jpg Views:	1 Size:	561.2 KB ID:	1189521

Legs from rough band sawed to final sand..

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 - Rough to finished.jpg Views:	1 Size:	509.0 KB ID:	1189524

At this point I have two more legs to shape and then I will go back and fine tune all of the top/bottom sections of the rail mating surfaces to square and all of the curves to fair and as similar as possible...

Cheers, Don

Last edited by Don Kondra; 06-13-2018, 02:30 AM.
    VanCityMike, Glenn from Winnipeg and 7 others like this.
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Work in progress - Entrance Bench # 3

Your original sketch does not do justice to the work in progress.
    Very nice., Don

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Hi Don,

I really like the shape of the arms.
      Nice progress pictures, I'm excited to see the final result.
      Really nice work Don...........

Gord

Comment

Looks great. I'm really interested in this. Some of the chair designs I like have shaped mortise/tenon joints in tapered round legs. Did you drill and chisel your mortises?

Comment

I always enjoy your build threads Don.
          Besides the obvious time and effort taken to design everything, it seems as much if not more effort goes into making each piece as near to perfect as can be.

Looking forward to the end result.
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

Terrific detail and photos of the process.

The final product will again will, again, be described with superlatives.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Nice work. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing the progression to the finished product.
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

I'll be watching the progress. What a nice design!
                Chris
                I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Can't wait to see the fitting of the mating surfaces. Very nice so far!
                  Frank
                  SPCHT

Comment

Thanks for sharing,looks good,I'm curious ,are you using a leather for the cusion or some type of print?

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                      Your original sketch does not do justice to the work in progress.
                      Very nice., Don

Noel
                      Thank you, my sketches get me to the full scale drawing !

Originally posted by Gord in Newmarket View Post
                      Hi Don,

I really like the shape of the arms.
                      Nice progress pictures, I'm excited to see the final result.
                      Really nice work Don...........

Gord
                      Thanks Gord !

One of the driving forces on the design of the arms is leaving a hard edge in the middle of the sides. That should relate well to the hard edges on the leg to rail surface.

Originally posted by Millhouse421 View Post
                      Looks great. I'm really interested in this. Some of the chair designs I like have shaped mortise/tenon joints in tapered round legs. Did you drill and chisel your mortises?
                      Thank you, I have a mortise machine

Originally posted by beakie View Post
                      I always enjoy your build threads Don.
                      Besides the obvious time and effort taken to design everything, it seems as much if not more effort goes into making each piece as near to perfect as can be.

Looking forward to the end result.
                      Thank you, it helps to be extremely anal about details, I just can't help myself

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                      Terrific detail and photos of the process.

The final product will again will, again, be described with superlatives.
                      Thank you !

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                      Nice work. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing the progression to the finished product.
                      Thanks Randy !

Originally posted by eilliac View Post
                      I'll be watching the progress. What a nice design!
                      Good to hear ! I normally make a full scale mock up but skipped that step this time...

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
                      Can't wait to see the fitting of the mating surfaces. Very nice so far!
                      Thanks Frank !

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                      Thanks for sharing,looks good,I'm curious ,are you using a leather for the cusion or some type of print?
                      Thank you, black leather for sure with the maple. The walnut bench I'm planning on staining with Watco Black Walnut so I'm considering red !

We shall see when I go shopping for leather, they may have remnants large enough for a seat. A quick look at Tandy Leathers web site doesn't show any half hides in upholstery leather.

A black leather hide is ~$350 and should easily yield three seats. Their Designer whole hide series come in colors @ ~$200 and again should yield three seats.

Not sure if I want to stock that much leather but I do have plans to make more in different woods.

Cheers, Don

Product Photography

Comment

You really like the floating top style, don't you Don? Perhaps this may be an opportunity to come up with something different?
                        All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                          You really like the floating top style, don't you Don? Perhaps this may be an opportunity to come up with something different?
                          I do like a floating top

As I see it my choices for an entrance bench seat are....

Upholstery.

No upholstery.

In a frame.

On a frame.

Square corners.

Rounded corners.

Thick.

Thin.

_______________ ?

Cheers, Don
                          Product Photography

Comment

Don which of the leg designs are you going to use or will they be slightly different as per your last pic. Each of the 3 have subtle differences? I'm glad you rounded them all. Have you got a pic of the dry fit now that you have them rounded? I really didn't like the octagon at the joint as shown in your dry fit. I'm curious to see how nice it is now.
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Don which of the leg designs are you going to use or will they be slightly different as per your last pic. Each of the 3 have subtle differences? I'm glad you rounded them all. Have you got a pic of the dry fit now that you have them rounded? I really didn't like the octagon at the joint as shown in your dry fit. I'm curious to see how nice it is now.
                              In the last picture, the maple on the left and the walnut in the middle are the final shape of the legs. The only difference in the two benches will be the size of the bottom of the legs due to the starting thickness of the materials.

To clarify, the leg on the right is the leg after the "octagon" has been band sawed off. The leg in the middle has the band saw marks removed and the top and bottom of the square section are now fare.

This is a joint test fit, the arrow indicates where I need to take off a little bit more material

Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - Joint test fit arrow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	721.7 KB
ID:	1189748

I still need to machine the M&T's for the front to back rail pieces, then I will do another test assembly to measure for the holes for the arms.

Cheers, Don
                              Product Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X