Sealant for Vanity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealant for Vanity?

I'm making a vanity for the bathroom out of oak and looking to seal it as per the suggestion from Tony Belbeck.

Is this a good sealant to use? Obviously, it needs to be able to repel/dissuade water, grime, etc.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.z...001133756.html
    “Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” ― Charles Bukowski
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sealant for Vanity?

Originally posted by manziman View Post
    I'm making a vanity for the bathroom out of oak and looking to seal it as per the suggestion from Tony Belbeck.

Is this a good sealant to use? Obviously, it needs to be able to repel/dissuade water, grime, etc.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.z...001133756.html
    What is the clean up recommendation? I use Zinserr for primer on konty pine (and killing smoke and pet pee/Oder) and it is a great sealer. But I think they use a alcohol/wax base.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

I think sealcoat is their dewaxed version, but I'm not 100% positive. You can also mix your own shellac if that's what you're after. Lee Valley sells flakes, which is then mixed with alcohol. The plus is that you know how fresh it is since shellac has a shelf life after being mixed, and the stuff in the cans is definitely not that fresh since they probably don't sell much of it. Then you definitely know it's wax free.

Comment

Shellac is not a good product to use where water is involved. Is the vanity top oak? I had to replace my OH garage door jambs that had rotted & I used West Systems epoxy to seal the bottom 10" or so because the end is in contact with the concrete. It's been several years & there is no sign of swelling or rot. I've heard from several others that i works well in damp situations. It can be top coated with a satin poly to get rid of the high gloss
        nnieman likes this.

Comment

Seal coat is more of a grain sealer to prep wood for a proper topcoat. For interior use, yes, epoxy will seal it, but IMO is a little overkill. I have a LOT of wood in my bathroom, and I found that a full proper application of polyurethane(even off the shelf stuff) holds up very well. I used a water based poly, applied min. 4 coats and it has standing water on it regularly, and has shown no sign of degradation over the past few years. Key here is making sure it is fully sealed. Once you have applied what you feel is enough coats, quickly splash some water on it, if ANY water soaks into the wood, then you haven't sealed it well enough.

In a situation where water will be constantly splashing onto wood, you either need to seal 100%, and be ready to constantly dry off, and periodically refinish the vanity.

Simon
          nnieman likes this.

Comment

What Simon said and pay extra attention to "fully" in the "key".
            billh

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X