Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: acceptable gap in large glue ups?

Speculation:
    Run doubled over piece of sand paper between the edges using the weight of the top board to apply pressure.??
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Next time it would be easier to glue up 1, 2, 3, or 4 pieces together to start and then add one piece at a time to your sandwich. As you have discovered it is a tough job to try to force 2 laminated pieces of thick material 12 inches wide to join up gap free. Local shop here uses two 12 inch I beams and a series of bottle jacks for this type of glue up and even with that pressure and an automatic glue dispenser he doesn't exceed 5 pieces at a time.
      Just another hack likes this.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Next time it would be easier to glue up 1, 2, 3, or 4 pieces together to start and then add one piece at a time to your sandwich. As you have discovered it is a tough job to try to force 2 laminated pieces of thick material 12 inches wide to join up gap free. Local shop here uses two 12 inch I beams and a series of bottle jacks for this type of glue up and even with that pressure and an automatic glue dispenser he doesn't exceed 5 pieces at a time.
        that is kind of what we did.
        glued 3 staves @ once
        then 4 staves
        then the 3 + 4 for a total of 7 staves which = 1 slab

did that x4, that's where the 4 slabs in question originated

ran the 4 slabs through my 18" planer to get consistant thickness, in hopes of minimizing hand planing the final monster 5' x 9' slab.

however, now we find ourselves in the topic of this thread.

but I think we have it figured out, and will give it a shot tonight.
        Last edited by beakie; 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM.
        [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          I actually contemplated this idea before posting this thread.
          but figured there had to be a less labour intensive (aka lazier) way of jointing two stupid heavy chunks of wood together.

Comment

Tom you're not alone when you mention the issue of hand planing. Reality is, it isn't that tough.

I used the same procedure you used to design and make my work bench which is 3-1/2 inch thick hard maple close to 8 feet long. I knew I would have the issue you have and had a plan to overcome it and I did but what I did is not worth talking about for your project.

However,,If you have a Festool track saw, I ask because I believe they have the best blades, clamp your slabs together with your clamps under not over the slabs and cut 3/4's of the way through the slab on the joint. Unclamp the slabs, flip them over and cut off the 1/4 that is left with the track saw. Raise your blade so it is only cutting the 1/4 off with out touching the 3/4 deep cut. Cut slightly more than a 1/2 blade thickness off the 1/4 so it's actually a little more than necessary creating a very skinny 1/16th ish gap. Then flip them upright and clamp together. You should have a real good fit with the bottom 1/4 not touching at all. Try it with a couple of 2x4's first. You might like the result.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

OK, now we're cooking with gas!

first two slabs were on the chopping block tonight.
              spaced them out evenly, clamped them down and shaved a hair off both sides @ once.

turned out great!

flipped back over, pushed together by hand and they looked great as is.
              clamp on either end brought them together just tickety-boo.

moved onto the 2nd pair of slabs, did the same thing but without any spacers as they had more of a gap over their length anyway. took anywhere from 1/2 blade width to none at all from either side.
              flipped to see joint and decided another cut would be worth the effort.
              that will be tomorrow night, and expectations are high.

thanks again for all the great ideas, if they were not used on this project I'm appreciative knowing they are here for reference down the road.

pics of tonights results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_214219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	1204005

Name:	IMG_20181010_214239.jpg
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1204007

Name:	IMG_20181010_215043.jpg
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1204006
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

With it being that thick could you just turn it on its side and run it through your thickness planer?

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
                  OK, now we're cooking with gas!

thanks again for all the great ideas, if they were not used on this project I'm appreciative knowing they are here for reference down the road.

pics of tonights results.
                  ]
                  Good luck Tom,

Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "
                  John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Next time round might I suggest gluing the centre panel first, then using that panel to glue the others.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
                      With it being that thick could you just turn it on its side and run it through your thickness planer?
                      my planer only does 6 1/2" thickness I believe, not exactly sure... but not 16", that I know.

we are pleased with current results, this method (track saw) has worked out very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post

Good luck Tom,

Noel
                        thanks Noel

Comment

Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post
                          Next time round might I suggest gluing the centre panel first, then using that panel to glue the others.
                          well if I understand you correctly, there is no centre panel.

there are 4 panels, total.

the panels were sized according to my planers capabilities, we made them as wide as it would accept.

but all that gluing & clamping has caused a bit of variance over the total length.

but, it's looking good now.

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
                            well if I understand you correctly, there is no centre panel.
                            Ok, I'll try again. When you glued up 4 separate sub-panels they were free to 'go their own way'. The individual boards will have some flex but once glued & dried ... no flex.

What I was suggesting was to glue up the sub-panels as they will fall in the final glue up. So start with say panel glue up sub #2, then glue up & clamp sub #3 to #2 without gluing sub #3 to sub #2. Do the same with sub #1 to sub #2 and sub #4 to sub #3. This will give you 4 separate sub panels that are fitted 1>2>3>4.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post

Ok, I'll try again. When you glued up 4 separate sub-panels they were free to 'go their own way'. The individual boards will have some flex but once glued & dried ... no flex.

What I was suggesting was to glue up the sub-panels as they will fall in the final glue up. So start with say panel glue up sub #2, then glue up & clamp sub #3 to #2 without gluing sub #3 to sub #2. Do the same with sub #1 to sub #2 and sub #4 to sub #3. This will give you 4 separate sub panels that are fitted 1>2>3>4.
                              I think I understand you now.

when we were gluing, we used a large 9' ash 2x6 board to squeeze the staves against the angle iron that was attached to the torsion box.

you're suggesting, instead of the ash board, use the previous/subsequent panel so that the edges marry up to each other.

if thay is correct, it would be a good idea. one I will try and remember if building something like this again.
                              thank you
                              Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Working...
                              X