Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Make This Router Cut?

Hello,

I am helping a friend make some small speakers, and he wants me to rout the relief for the speaker in the front panel of the boxes. I assumed it would be a straightforward circular opening and then round inset section, but the speakers he bought are shaped like the attached image. The through hole is round, so that is easy, but the outside frame is like that shown in the image. I have to cut an inset section so the speaker sits flush with the front panel. I have both a regular and plunge base for my router.

Thanks for your help!

Sweeps
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How Do I Make This Router Cut?

I would use my rabbeting bit to recess an area bit wider than flange of the speaker. I have a bit that comes with several different size of bearings, pick one that will work.
    ​​​​​​https://www.busybeetools.com/product...-set-6pcs.html
    sigpic
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Those speakers are often mounted with a circular relief as well as through hole. I would use a square guide of the correct dimension to make the rabbet cut then put an insert in the guide to cut the through hole. It would be no big deal to use an insert collar that would give a rabbet shaped as the speaker is instead of round.
      Rob

Comment

Realistically that is a square with the corners cut off a bit. Make a guide and route a square and it should be perfect with just a little extra in the corners.

Comment

Trace the outline of speaker onto a piece of thick plywood. Cut out the outline with a jig saw and sand smooth. Use the plywood pattern with a top bearing, straight cutting router bit, set to the depth you need for the relief. Clamp or double sided tape or screw the pattern to the sound board. Router out the profile. Use a jig saw to cut the final hole for the speaker to set into.

Comment

I agree with John's approach to a point. I am lousy at cutting close to a line with a jigsaw and then sanding to the line. I inevitably end up with imperfect lines. I assume this speaker will be visible so the fit needs to be perfect. Here's what I would do.

I would glue up a square frame from four pieces of hardwood or MDF that fit snugly around the speaker. I would then fabricate filler pieces for the corners. You have to be fussy making the first one to get the radius right and the fit to be tight. Once the first one is made, use it as a template to make the others. I would glue these in place with the speaker in the hole. I would then use that as the template for the recess. The sharp transitions between the radiused and straight part cannot be duplicated with the flush trim bit because of the radius of the bit. That would need to be done CAREFULLY with a chisel.
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
              Realistically that is a square with the corners cut off a bit. Make a guide and route a square and it should be perfect with just a little extra in the corners.
              Actually it is a circle with some edges cut off. In some cases this would allow the covers to attach to the box without passing through the speaker.
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Actually it is a circle with some edges cut off. In some cases this would allow the covers to attach to the box without passing through the speaker.
                Rob
                Ha! Well I suppose you could look at it either way. But with a square, it would be a simple matter to make a jig. And where you normally are using a chisel to clean up the corners, for this it could be left as-is.

Comment

Ha! Well I suppose you could look at it either way. But with a square, it would be a simple matter to make a jig. And where you normally are using a chisel to clean up the corners, for this it could be left as-is.
                  The router base is round so you still make a square jig to cut the round hole.
                  Rob

Comment

Making the cut is pretty simple. The question is does it have to be exact to look good. In other words will the speaker be set into the cut and will the cut be visible and therefore will it be necessary to cut clean and precise? If that's the case use the speaker as a pattern to cut a pattern and then reduce the pattern by 1/2 an inch if you use a 1/2 inch cutter and bearing for your final cut. Lots of ways to do it really but generally those speakers are not set in. They fit in a round hole and fasten to the face of your workpiece screwed through the 4 holes.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

The router base is round so you still make a square jig to cut the round hole.
                      Rob
                      I think we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about routing a square inset area for the speaker so it is flush with the surface. This is what the OP originally had envisioned. The shape of the router base is immaterial. My assumption was another, round hole, would be cut for the speaker cone to go through. What were you talking about?

Comment

What do we say, each man has his way of doing something and no ones way is wrong, just something to remember, IMO
                        Bob just past Ayr and WoodBob like this.

Comment

I think we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about routing a square inset area for the speaker so it is flush with the surface. This is what the OP originally had envisioned. The shape of the router base is immaterial. My assumption was another, round hole, would be cut for the speaker cone to go through. What were you talking about?
                          I realise I expressed myself poorly. The point is the router will be guided by the outside of it's base for such a small circle. As the base is round it is not difficult to measure the offset (radius) of the base from the speaker that is used as the pattern. The template you will make will probably be big enough that it can be made with a trammel. A pin router would be ideal, they were made for just such jobs.
                          Rob

Comment

Is there going to be a cover over the speaker? I would think so otherwise it will look unfinished even if the opening is made perfectly. Assuming there is a cover the opening needs to be wider than the speaker flange and smaller than the cover. No need for it to be exact. Depending on how many you are doing you can just use the speaker as a template, trace the outline on the box and cut it to just outside the line. If you have several to make it may justify a pattern and pattern bit. Don't see how you could follow that outline using the outside of the base as the guide but I could be mistaken and if there is a cover you don't need to be exact. The attached video shows how to do it without a pattern and pattern bit just free hand except if there is a cover you can cut to just outside instead of inside the line. If no cover, then this would be how you would do it treating the speaker like the wooden inlay.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXYC3OGOC5U Hope this helps.

Comment

These speaker holes are cut to be a very close fit and deep enough that the speaker sits just flush with the surface. The reason for this is that sometimes people like to remove the speaker cover (grille cloth) and show just the bare sound board and speakers/ports. here is the front of one of a set of Goodmans Mezzo SL (1970's vintage) that i redid about 10 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1088657.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1208211

Comment

Working...
                              X