X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iamtooler
    replied
    Originally posted by WoodBob View Post

Ha! Well I suppose you could look at it either way. But with a square, it would be a simple matter to make a jig. And where you normally are using a chisel to clean up the corners, for this it could be left as-is.
    The router base is round so you still make a square jig to cut the round hole.
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Actually it is a circle with some edges cut off. In some cases this would allow the covers to attach to the box without passing through the speaker.
    Rob
    Ha! Well I suppose you could look at it either way. But with a square, it would be a simple matter to make a jig. And where you normally are using a chisel to clean up the corners, for this it could be left as-is.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
    Realistically that is a square with the corners cut off a bit. Make a guide and route a square and it should be perfect with just a little extra in the corners.
    Actually it is a circle with some edges cut off. In some cases this would allow the covers to attach to the box without passing through the speaker.
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    I agree with John's approach to a point. I am lousy at cutting close to a line with a jigsaw and then sanding to the line. I inevitably end up with imperfect lines. I assume this speaker will be visible so the fit needs to be perfect. Here's what I would do.

I would glue up a square frame from four pieces of hardwood or MDF that fit snugly around the speaker. I would then fabricate filler pieces for the corners. You have to be fussy making the first one to get the radius right and the fit to be tight. Once the first one is made, use it as a template to make the others. I would glue these in place with the speaker in the hole. I would then use that as the template for the recess. The sharp transitions between the radiused and straight part cannot be duplicated with the flush trim bit because of the radius of the bit. That would need to be done CAREFULLY with a chisel.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Trace the outline of speaker onto a piece of thick plywood. Cut out the outline with a jig saw and sand smooth. Use the plywood pattern with a top bearing, straight cutting router bit, set to the depth you need for the relief. Clamp or double sided tape or screw the pattern to the sound board. Router out the profile. Use a jig saw to cut the final hole for the speaker to set into.

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    Realistically that is a square with the corners cut off a bit. Make a guide and route a square and it should be perfect with just a little extra in the corners.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    Those speakers are often mounted with a circular relief as well as through hole. I would use a square guide of the correct dimension to make the rabbet cut then put an insert in the guide to cut the through hole. It would be no big deal to use an insert collar that would give a rabbet shaped as the speaker is instead of round.
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• Bryan @ Woodstock
    replied
    I would use my rabbeting bit to recess an area bit wider than flange of the speaker. I have a bit that comes with several different size of bearings, pick one that will work.
    ​​​​​​https://www.busybeetools.com/product...-set-6pcs.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X