How Do I Make This Router Cut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Do I Make This Router Cut?

When I bought my Paisley AE500's in 1982, they were considered pretty high end at $800/pr (a lot of money in 1982). I recall a line from the manual.............

"A cosmetic grill is provided for those willing to accept the acoustic compromises that it's use creates."

These are now my shop speakers. Bitchin'!

. Click image for larger version  Name:	284699-paisley_research_ae500_loudspeakers.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	1208213
    Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

take 1/4" ply screw it (strategically) to a piece of 3/4" ply, screw the speaker down upside down onto this, get a shallow guide and straight cut bit and trace the speaker outline into the 1/4" piece. Use that cutout as a template, adjusting the size of guide to suit clearances you want and set the depth and route it. Hopefully I explained it well enough.
      Steve The Drill Sergeant
      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

If you are not confident you can cut it with a router then cut the hole big enough for the speaker to fit. Then use a knife lightly go around the entire speaker. Then do a second pass a little heavier and then a third. After that you can use a chisel and drop it down the 1/8 inch or what ever you need to drop it down by and bingo you have a recessed speaker.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.

I finally got to see an actual speaker, and the straight looking section in the image is actually slightly curved. He wants an accurate fit, but I'm not sure who accurate I can actually make these cuts. My plan is to make an outline of the actual speaker frame, then build a template from that using separate pieces of Baltic Birch plywood glued together. I'll adjust the dimensions to accommodate the use of a router bit guide bushing. I'll post a picture of the results - if they're any good....

Sweeps

Comment

Originally posted by ShopSweeper View Post

I finally got to see an actual speaker, and the straight looking section in the image is actually slightly curved. He wants an accurate fit, but I'm not sure who accurate I can actually make these cuts. My plan is to make an outline of the actual speaker frame, then build a template from that using separate pieces of Baltic Birch plywood glued together. I'll adjust the dimensions to accommodate the use of a router bit guide bushing. I'll post a picture of the results - if they're any good....

Sweeps
            You can leave 1/16" all around the speaker and it will still look just fine, so don't try to make the template too tight. Take your time, shallow cuts, move slow. You'll do fine !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShopSweeper View Post

Sweeps
              I am thinking that speaker is around 5-6" in dia. If so you could cut a hole with a 4" or larger if needed hole saw and then make a template from the speaker with ---THIS ---. Then you take the bushing off and rout out the edge to a perfect fit. I inlaid this tile ( with the set from LV) because someone put a hot pot on the counter and they didn't want to replace all the rest of the counter. Check the fit of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Countertilejpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1208331

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Apparently I must be missing something but based on the several pics shown, and my past thoughts, I assumed the flange is simply surface mounted which leaves only a circle to be cut for the speaker itself How did we get to all the additional complicated steps?
                Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
                  Apparently I must be missing something but based on the several pics shown, and my past thoughts, I assumed the flange is simply surface mounted which leaves only a circle to be cut for the speaker itself How did we get to all the additional complicated steps?
                  Steve,

The speaker is not surface mounted. There is a slight recess machined into the soundboard so that the face of the speaker mounting flange sits flush with the soundboard face.

Comment

Working...
                  X